Bigger piston?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarriorRider80

Reaction score
So just wondering how involved the install of a bigger piston is. Need some more pep and I think that's the direction I'm going. Unless you guys recommend something else.

If it runs well you are better off spending the money on exhaust, intake, rejet, cam, vito's key, etc... You will get a very noticable increase in power. But yes, installing a larger piston will give a little more power, but nothing very noticable. You will feel a bigger difference using a higher comp piston. Either a 10.25:1 wiseco, or a 10.5:1 je.

If you're going to go through the trouble to rip it down for a piston then here's my plan. Get some new springs and do Web .390. Even though many of us have had decent luck with the S1HC I still believe that the Web is likely a better cam. Add to that a 10.25 Wiseco, eliminate the base gasket upon reassemble, add the Vito's key that Pat mentioned and you have a nice bump with proper jetting, an open intake system and good exhaust. It won't be a rocket
but it sure will be fun!!

So what is your exhaust and what has been done with the intake? I've found that these stock air boxes really have to be cut up to breathe enough. I experimented quite a bit by adding more and more holes to my box and finally I got it happy. In all honesty a better box or custom intake would be much better imo.

Last edited:
If your gonna bring up custom intakes ive built a few with good success, ask pat how it runs but in all honesty a carb swap should be next on the list just because of how stuffed up these are from factory with the factory carb but members have had good success with the rs38 mm and pe38mm along with the fcr 39mm carbs I would run the fcr its smoother with less flat spots throughout the rpm range

thanks guys. i'll start researching and pricing. i have a full FMF powerbomb exhaust and a drop in K&N but the airbox is still closed. So i'll open that up and mess with the jetting a bit to find a happy medium. Any idea how labor intensive all of this engine work is? I'm not a small motor mechanic but i am a millwright by trade so i know alot about shafts and bearings and tolerances and all that good stuff so im willing to tackle this myself and my machinist at work can do any milling and boring if need be for free so that helps (if it is involved in this process). Thanks again any other advice is appreciated.

cams and springs are pretty straight forward, take off the head and tear it apart. the carb you would just swap out there should be no problems there!

no i havent, but i have replaced springs on a dodge 4.7 v8 and that is harder than anything i have ever done to an engine!

Back