best way to make jb weld repairs

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddy

Reaction score
ive tried 3 times to get JB weld to fix my hole in the crackcase where a slab of metal came of from a previous owner having a chain breaking on him the hole is smalled then a dime and the slab that came off is about as big as a baseball card,i mix it together and equal amounts is a separate area then when its mixed up and in a gray color i start layin a think layer between the break and it doesnt wanna hold itself up so i have to hold it there for a while,and then when it starts to hold itself i let it sit for at least like 24 hrs,one time it sat for three days and it slowly leaked oil after i rode around for a lil while then it just split apart and i was back to the way it was before...any help plz thx

I don't trust the jb weld method at all. If mine would ever break i'd just replace the case. My cousin jb welded the same thing on his suzuki quadracer, and it held up for about 5 months with no leaks or anything. Then one day riding at paragon, the junk broke loose and his entire engine was destroyed because he didn't know he had a problem until halfway through the mud pit his clutch started slipping because all his oil had been displaced by muddy water.

If you can't get it to stick at all, it sounds like first you need to properly prepare the surfaces. You can't just jb weld 2 oily broken pieces together. You have to grind them down good first to get rid of the jagged edges caused by the break, and make damn sure you have absolutely no oil residue on either pieces. Then lay the bike over on the right side (don't do this if you have a lot of gas in your tank, or it'll leak through the cap breather). When you lay it on the side, you won't have to hold it for 10 minutes until the compound starts setting up. Wait at least 24 hours before moving it to make sure it's set completely. Don't do it on a humid or rainy day, or a real cold day either, that can keep the compound from curing properly.

If it were me, i'd grind off the rest of the remaining chain "guard" on the broken piece, so that you don't have that wing sticking out, because you don't want to catch that thing on your foot and bust it off again.

And the final tip I can give you, don't use JB quik. It doesn't hold up as well as the original, especially when it's on an engine and it's frequently being heated up and cooled back down.

Yes as yamarider said it's all about prep work dump sum parts cleaner or finger nail polish remover on a rag clean up the area really good get it good and dry and make sure you let it cure the amount of dry time. And if you feel sporty take off the cover and put some more jb weld on the inside ya know like make a wall so it sticks on both sides..But if you can afford it do as yamarder said get a new crank case look around on ebay or local salvage yards good luck man....

yea i tried preping the surface as best i could cleaned oil off then i took a grinder and grinded the broken piece up a little bit but i guess ill try usin some parts cleaner on a rag 2 clean and ill try laying the bike over also so i dont have to hold it ill probually ne able to get a thicker amount on...thanks guys

And if you feel sporty take off the cover and put some more jb weld on the inside ya know like make a wall so it sticks on both sides.
Sounds like this stuff really dosent hold too well, wouldnt want **** fallin off and potentiially floating around in my case

After seeing it completely **** up my cousin's ride there's no chance in hell i'd ever attempt or trust this stuff for anything, except maybe as a temporary repair if I kept a close eye on it.. You'll be spending a lot more in the long run if that piece falls off and you loose all your oil or get mud, water, and dirt in there. Compare the cost of a used left side case, vs your entire engine being fucked over... it's your call. I would just hate to see any of your guys have this happen to you:

fefd0cdedb7837fdf9758d914631df24.jpg

Heck, you can probably get a used cover on ebay for 50 bucks and not have to worry about repairing the damaged area at all.

Back