Best 250 2-stroke air cooled atv

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torch365

Reaction score
So, we've got the race built Blaster, the first gen Warrior, two second gen Warriors, a Trailblazer 250, and a Z400. Now something different for Dad. I came of age in the late '70s/early '80s. I'm really thinking a two-cycle air-cooled 250cc+ with the suspension for a GNCC. Was such a machine ever made? If not, what is the best (reasonable) rolling chasis, and the best motor. I cut my teeth back in the day on an '86 Quadracer. I really like the kid's Blaster, the Chasis is just to short (distance from the handlebars to the footpegs).

To answer some questions in advance: I want a 2-cycle. I don't want a radiator or water cooled. I don't want electric start or a battery. I don't want anything as big as a 500.

Thanks in advance. I really enjoy this forum.

Do you want a dirt bike or a quad? there are no 250 air cooled quads. there are several bikes. there is also air cooled 3 wheelers

First or second generation Honda ATC250R for the ****** win! 83-84 had huge suspension upgrades. Damn bullet proof engine, too. Can't go wrong with one. Only 250cc air cooled ATV to own, in my opinion.

I was actually looking for a quad. I sold my KX after my last crash. (No more jumping for this guy. I don't bounce any more, I splat.) I've never owned a three-wheeler, and actually wanted to try racing a Hare Scramble this year. Can trikes race any more? Aren't they deathtraps?

You just need to know how to ride one. I really want to get a 85 or 86 atc 250r. but the are liquid cooled

Okay. I will check into a three-wheeler class for the Hare Scrambles here. In the mean time; any other ideas. Was the early Fourtrax 250 water cooled? Or something similiar? What about an engine swap from the ATC to the Fourtrax chasis? I don't mind modding/fabbing something a little bit, just not over the top.

I don't think they race trikes anymore. It would be cool to find a atc250r with the quad conversion kit though, that would make a really cool project. You would probably be be better off getting the trx250r though, it'll handle better and be easier to find, but I think those are all liquid cooled.

Last edited:
Honda trx250r. Trent is dead on there....and Pats trike is ***** nasty. Watch his videos. Thing flys

I was actually looking for a quad. I sold my KX after my last crash. (No more jumping for this guy. I don't bounce any more, I splat.) I've never owned a three-wheeler, and actually wanted to try racing a Hare Scramble this year. Can trikes race any more? Aren't they deathtraps?

Ouch. Trikes are growing in popularity. Lots of people riding, restoring and racing them. There are more and more three wheeler classes at events. Hell, lots of three wheeler events! No, they are not death traps. No more dangerous then a quad. Other then a couple Big Red 250s, I had never REALLY ridden a trike before I got my 350X together, however, I LOVE riding it. Prefer it over a quad. Have not crashed to date. Of course, I don't ride like a jackass either. Lol.

You just need to know how to ride one. I really want to get a 85 or 86 atc 250r. but the are liquid cooled

What this guy said^^^ lol :tup:

Okay. I will check into a three-wheeler class for the Hare Scrambles here. In the mean time; any other ideas. Was the early Fourtrax 250 water cooled? Or something similiar? What about an engine swap from the ATC to the Fourtrax chasis? I don't mind modding/fabbing something a little bit, just not over the top.

All TRX250Rs are liquid cooled. You can swap an air fooler R into a liquid R's chassis. Anything is possible. Don't know if it will overheat from the added weight it's propelling. May not.

I don't think they race trikes anymore. It would be cool to find a atc250r with the quad conversion kit though, that would make a really cool project. You would probably be be better off getting the trx250r though, it'll handle better and be easier to find, but I think those are all liquid cooled.

Lots of trike classes out there now :iagree:. 3 to 4 wheel conversions are very rare and handle like crap, hahaha. They pop up every now and then, but other then it's place in ATV history, it looks good as a talking piece. I'd still like to own one for just that reason.

Honda trx250r. Trent is dead on there....and Pats trike is ***** nasty. Watch his videos. Thing flys

Yes, he is. And, yes, my trike is a bad bitch:slayer:

Back