battery going dead after 5 Months?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodeBlue

Reaction score
Ive had two batteries in the last 1 year (give or take) and ive bought two batteries causethe first one i bought wouldnt take charge, now thisone is dead and i though itvwas the starter now i hooked itmup to a car battery and it started right up. Im so confused. I havent, essed with any wires ever...

Do you have battery tender? Most of us don't get to ride our bikes often enuff to keep batt charged unfortunately.

dude whenever i see your name i think of True Sons of Liberty, Code Blue haha. when i first bought my bike i had so many problems getting it started. i eventually found my pickup coil going bad and she starts right up no problems after i replaced it. check your Stator just to be sure. its easy. you can test right off the wire harness. the Stator is the 3 white wires and should test 0.7~0.8 ohms in all three positions. the pickup coil is blue to yellow, 171~209 ohms. ignition coil is white/green to red, 270~330 ohms. if anything is different then you need to replace it. all the wires run on the other side of a switch when you turn your key to on so if the bike is off then your battery just sits there.

i dont buy anything less than a Sealed leaded core battery and they chemically break down when not fully charged, thus the advent of float chargers and smart chargers. its a great way to make sure your bike is 100% electrically every time you take it to the dirt. i have this guy but any of the small chargers do just about the same thing. i never knew chargers could do some of the things they do now. check out some of the larger models and be blown away with just how many options there are to charge a damn battery.
http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G750-Battery-Charger-Maintainer/dp/B004LX3AS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374856549&sr=8-1&keywords=noco+g750

also you may be within warranty. i know some Battery companies have horrible warranties. in the heat of Arizona, we just simply go through batteries and make every use of warranties. im pretty impressed with Bikemaster. i think i got a 2 year warranty where as every one else was like 6 months. i could be wrong there but Bikemaster seemed like a no brainer especially since that's all my favorite parts shop sells.

That's like the best charger I've seen, CJ. I need to get a couple of these for myself and one for my stepdad for his birthday.

only thing i dont like about it is i seem to have to put it in standby mode before i pull it from the harness or it seems to get confused. one time i plugged it in and it sat there charging slowly for 4 days and still hadn't brought it up to the right voltage. it was stuck in maintenance mode i think instead of bulk charge when you first put it on. ever since i put it on standby then pull it off ive never had a problem. i think the original battery tenders you can just pull them off and go but they dont have all the different stages of charging and monitoring that the NOCO does. i Love it. now that my electrics are fully checked out and i have my smart charger i dont have to worry about it.

Last edited:
Codeblue have you hooked a volt meter up to the battery while running to see if the volts jump from 12 to 14-15 while idling?
that's #5's issue right now not putting charge to battery come to find out the stator was fried it still runs but doesn't charge the battery
do an ohm test on the 3 white wires coming out of the stator and talk to sparky he can walk ya through the test we did on #5 to figure out the stator was fried just because it ohms within spec doesn't mean it's good

if you need a couple chargers i would consider looking at one of the larger amperage models and hook everything up to the same charger. then you'd have a sweet one that could charge a car if need be. the g1100http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G1100-Battery-Charger-Maintainer/dp/B004LX3AXQ/ref=pd_sbs_auto_3 and up claims they can recover a deeply discharged battery and charge better for cold weather(means nothing to me) and AGM's. of course if the battery is dead chemically its dead but they claim they can recover the battery so it doesn't break down as fast. im curious to see how well that works.

money spent in a good float charger is money in the bank to me

Guys, I have access to a car charger i just need someone ethier to text me to walk through what you guys are talking about..

U can use car charger but u have to use lowest setting and take it off when it is charged. A trickle charger or tender will shut off itself and charge when needed and sometimes even drain it a bit so it can charge it back up. Like exercising your battery and constantly monitoring it.

I'm gonna get my dad to call one of his buddies and see if they have one cause i think i remember him saying something about it

my voltage regulator was bad, charging 18-19v at idle, and boiling the water out of the battery, check voltage at battery terminals running to see. also if your battery is dry, i bet thats the problem

Back