Balancer not lining up right

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevor

Reaction score
Rebuilt top end on 2000 warrior and balancer is NOT at tdc when set at T on balancer and its not 180 out! I set cam timing and the piston hits the valve so I pulled the head and saw that when the balancer is at T the piston is only halfway down the cylinder. What's the deal? It's not 180 out its wierd

Yes

That's what I'm thinking! It slipped the woodruff key sheared off

I bought it dead. I reringed it and found this problem. Gotta be woodruff key sheared off and balancer slipped

did you line the timing mark up on the cam chain gear on the crank behind the starter clutch gear?

I haven't pulled the balancer yet I am tomorrow I just did top end rebuild and found this problem.

you have to align tdc on the cam and head to the T on the crankshaft thru the peep hole and if you haven't make sure they match up so your cam isn't throwing open valves at the wrong time. If all is well with those then look elsewhere.

Lets get one thing straight here before people start to refer to this improperly all the time, and someone really fucks up. This is NOT a balancer, it is a flywheel. While it has weights to keep it balanced, and it helps provide inertia to keep the engine running, it is NOT the actual balancer. The balancer is a seperate shaft, with a lobe, that is driven off of the crank, to eleminate vibration, and provide longer engine life... Just had to correct that.

Yes as I wrote in my original post I set the cam timing meaning its on the notch while balancer and in fact it is a balancer because it as you said balances the motor and like the balancer on a car has the timing marks.

No, actually it is not. The flywheel itself is balanced. It is put on a machine, spun, vibration is calculated, and weights are applied as/where necessary. Just like balancing a tire... Or a flywheel/flexplate on a car... It does nothing to actually balance/reduce engine vibration, like a harmonic balancer (crankshaft pully) on a car. Those are comprised of 3 pieces; the inner piece that slips/presses onto the crank with a bolt, a strip of rubber that goes around it, and lastly another piece of steel over that. That last piece has grooves machined in it for the drive belt to ride on. The rubber in the center absorbs the engine vibrations that travel through the crank. Some trucks even have a harmonic balancer on the rear axle's pinion shaft to absorb driveline vibrations. Same principle.

The balance shaft inside the engine is what reduces the engine vibrations. It is just a shaft with a lobe on it(specially calculated for weight) that is timed with and driven by the crankshaft. Many automobile engine have a balance shaft (GM 4.3L v6, certain Honda 4cly engines, etc... Using such methoids pretty much eliminates the need for a harmonic balancer, although MFGS still use them on certain balance shaft engines.

I'm not looking to start a fight. I just like for proper terms of componants to be used, and to edjucate people. However, if one of those weights where to come off, the engine in a Warrior (or any other atv) would vibrate like a bitch. lol

Thanks for the info it's always good to learn ! Upon removing the flywheel sure enough the woodruff key is MIA so problem solved!

Here im always learning :) good post Pat!!

Back