Bad weekend... well it turned out good anyway

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncledavid218

Reaction score
I had some friends come up to my house this weekend, one brought his 03' Z400 (so much tourque!) with a Yoshimura slip on and DG nerfs, then the other two road my TTR and dads new Rhino. Well my friend was riding my warrior on the way to the general store to fill up when my quad shuts off (my friend was riding it). Tried to start it up but nothing. So I took off the seat to see something so horrific I almost lost it. For those of you with K&N air filters you know there's a foam piece that goes between the filter and the airbox. Well, that seal was GONE! I was like oh sh*t I'm gunna have to buy a whole new engine. Then I thought about it and I was like wait, it's probably stuck in the carb. It was! So I rode the Rhino to someones house and they borrowed me some needle nose pliers and we got it out... in two pieces. So now my air filter won't stay in unless we put some hard styrofoam in there. Is there any way to get that seal without buying a new filter?

Haha and then we were ridin in this pit (I always ride there) and they moved some dirt around. Like an IDIOT I went up this pile of dirt and on the other side there was NOTHING there. Stright down. Well I managed to get to the bottom but it was so steep my quad just flipped over. I got out of the way and magically nothing was hurt, other than a couple of scratches to the plastics. Haha so that was my day, but it was a blast riding with my buddies.

yea u can do that if not u can get a uni filter for 20 bucks and it comes with 2 extra ones to have

ALWAYS ride around pits to check them out before you ride. Pits are always changing.

yea pits can be death without checkin the badsides of what ure climbing... i ditched that shity slip in a while ago, that design sux, get the pro design clamp on kit, u wont have to worry about stuff like that anymore

yep yep. clamp on adapter with a k&n. i got me one a little while after i had my motor work done. the drop in filters suck balls. im not a big fan of the uni filters. i dont really trust a piece of foam to protect my engine from dirt. just my opinion though. clamp on is definitely the way to go though!

Can anyone point me in the right direction of one that would work with my setup?

i got the moose adapter, the K&N to fit it, and an outerwears (covers the filter, acts as a pre-filter). all together, it cost me less than the pro design setup. try ebay. heres 2 different ones i found:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hardstyle-Air-Filter-Kit-Warrior-ATV-Intake-KN_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43979QQihZ002QQitemZ4554143007QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARDSTYLE-AIR-FILTER-KIT-YAMAHA-WARRIOR-88-04-K-N_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43979QQihZ002QQitemZ4603871624QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

just copy and paste the links. i would try to make sure that the adapter has the flange thing on the bottom that slides into the groove in your airbox near the opening though. also, use some rtv sealant (caulking/gasket stuff) to seal it up really well. heres some pics if you are interested in them.
ef257c6b.jpg

see all that dirt at the opening. thats what you want to avoid at all costs!
ef257b66.jpg

here's the adapter installed in the airbox
ef257b3a.jpg

and the new filter setup w/no lid
ef22e151.jpg

believe me, it is well worth the effort and money to save your motor from dirt and sand!

i had the same thing happen with my warrior. When i bought it, it had a drop in k&n and the seal sucked into the carb. The next week i had a clamp on and havent had a prob since

yep, go to a dealer and get the jets or have them jet it, especially if they have a dyno that shows air/fuel ratio. thats how i had all my stuff done and i couldnt be more satisfied. its a bit more expensive, but worth it because the jetting is almost perfect. i would beware of jet kits included with kits. my alba pipe that i used to have (came on the warrior when i got it) had a jet kit installed in it (pretty sure it was the jet kit that came with the alba pipe kit, since it had the torque stuffer in the head pipe and an alba outerwears). it sucked gas like a $2 whore and i found out that the jetting was WAY too rich. had to step it down 15 stages to get it right! good luck with your search/upgrade. you will be glad you did it!

im not a big fan of the uni filters. i dont really trust a piece of foam to protect my engine from dirt.
you trust a piece of paper but not foam?

im not a big fan of the uni filters. i dont really trust a piece of foam to protect my engine from dirt.
you trust a piece of paper but not foam?

Would I be ok riding it for a week with the filter in being held on to by the foam insert I cut out? It's a very snug and tight fit.

I see no harm as I check it every 15 min of riding.

[quote:48uyfc3x] im not a big fan of the uni filters. i dont really trust a piece of foam to protect my engine from dirt.
you trust a piece of paper but not foam?[/quote:48uyfc3x]
the foam is a lot more porous and i trust K&N much more since they have a good reputation. not trying to down anyone with the foam filters, just my preference. from what ive heard, you definitely dont want foam if you ride in sand (like dunes or anything). is this right? not sure.

Would I be ok riding it for a week with the filter in being held on to by the foam insert I cut out? It's a very snug and tight fit.

I see no harm as I check it every 15 min of riding.
are you still running a lid on your airbox? if not, im not sure i would trust it. the lid (as you might know) has a lip on it that holds the filter in place from the top, so if you dont have the lid, you have more of a chance of the filter coming loose. its up to you. if you are comfortable with it and dont think it will come loose, you can wait until you get the clamp on kit. if not, you can just put it on hold and wait to get the clamp on. like i said, its up to you.

Back