bad stator?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redline

Reaction score
my quad never cranks with the start button, it doesnt get any fire at the plug, but if i push start it then it cranks and runs fine, everyone says its the stator, is this true?

...wth is a stator anyway ::)

i went through some trouble shooting guides, but nothing came of it, the battery is the first thing i checked, switched them with another quad and it cranked with my battery, mine still didnt eevn with his battery, the startr turns the engine over just fine, all the lights work, the battery stays charged when riding, just no juice going to the coil, so no fire :mad:

HELP!, push starting my quad every time is really annoying

In a sense a "stator" is a device similar to the alternator found in your car; it is wound coil that rotates in a magnetic field generating your AC current (later turned into DC current by a rectifier) needed to power the quad/charge the battery. Thus if your stator is bad your battery will soon be bad too because the quad will run off battery power (no stator charging the battery) and eventually it will become depleted from use. To test the condition of your stator you need a multimeter, most shops will do this test for free. The good news (if you would like to call it that) is that the stator is located on a outer portion of the motor and is very easy to get to and replace, the not so good news is that they run about $160.00...

Just to recap for further conversation purposes:

A. Your starter turns the motor over with the button.
B. When you use electric start and crank it you do not have any spark (you checked by holding the tip of plug in the cap near a metal part of the bike to ground it & and cranking it).
C. Your battery does not get weak after riding.

I find it odd that you can ride and not drain the battery (if it’s the stator it will only be a matter of time before it does drain); this could be something else…

im not sure what the problem is, i have tested everything and as far as i can tell its all working, im not srue exactly how to test the rectifier or cdi box

it just wont fire, i tested to see if it was getting anything to the coil and it isnt, cant find how where the missing link is, something is keeping the plug from firing :mad:

i know ill have to buy something to fix it, i just want to make sure i buy the right thing, so im not replacing everything to fix it ::)

Well I don't think I have ever replaced a rectifier on any quad ive worked on they are generally pretty simple devices; all you need to turn AC into DC is an in-line capacitor. The CDIs usually have a burnt/charred plastic smell to them when they go, so take yours off and give the back of it a good sniff. How many volts was your Stator reading when you tested it at 3,000 RPMs?

You need to start your way at the plug and work your way back through the system tell you find voltage; that is if your stator turned out to be producing enough - Where ever the voltage stops coming is where the problem is, it may be a bad plug cap, wire, coil.

once i get the engine back together ill test some more things, im rebuilding it now, was starting to smoke alittle and i want to do a cam swap and play with the exhaust alittle

ill work on it more once its back together again, to be continued ;D

Back