Backfire

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrior55

Reaction score
My warrior is back firing whenever I let of the throtttle at high rpms? I am heading into town to buy some jets and wont to know if I need to go smaller or higher.

mine is doing the same thing... from what i understand we need to go richer on the pilot.... im going to try to correct mine with air screw adjustment first tho.... those damn jets were like $20 a piece from the dealer when i looked before.... there are other places to get them tho... im thinking the website is jetsrus.com but i havent checked into that yet

oh no i didnt... i didnt buy them...... i straight up told them that was crazy... and instead bought a rear caliper seal kit for $8 which is still quite a bit for 3 o-rings but... at least it wasnt $20 for 1 tiny piece of brass

I know this thread is from along time ago but mine is doing the exact same thing as warrior55 said is it bad and do i need to do something about it? if so what? and my warrior is also smoking ALOT when i first start it up it only smokes for like 30 seconds then stops, i am running some Lucas oil products octane booster, might that have something to do with it?Thanks

the smoking as a good sign of needing new valve stem seals... what happens is the seals wear out and the oil the engine pumps up to the rocker arm/ valves runs down the stem of the valve and slips by the seals and when the valve is opend it dumps out right on top of the piston and burns and thats where the smoke comes from.
why it stops after 30 seconds is metal expands when heated and the seals dont so when the engine starts warming up the valve stems expand and fit tighter with the seals and oil doesn't get by.
the smoking is really that big a deal till it gets over 1min before it stops... so no pressure on replacing the seals.
all warriors i've ever had (and alot of other 4 strokes) have all back fired alittle when letting off the throttle at high RPM... in fact it'll be hard to get it where it wont do it atall.

Ok so just a guess how long do you think till i will have to replace the seals? i ride for about 1 hour at least 4 times a week.

there's not definite line where you need to replace them, i'd wait until you're ready to do a full top end rebuild and replace everything at once while you have it apart. My warrior did the same thing, much more in cold weather, and it never hurt anything, I replaced the seals when I bored it and put the wiseco in it and it stopped the smoking.

My dual sport does the same, smokes a little when it's started. I'll never replace the seals unless it gets really bad or I decide to rebuild it. It doesn't bother me and it's not hurting anything so to me it's not worth the cost and the work to fix it.

****, my 93 Sonoma with the 4.3 in it blew a massive cloud of smoke when it was started and then immediately stopped smoking because of worn valve seals, I actually kinda liked it, it gave the truck character.

hell if it was mine i wouldn't even change them till it got so bad i couldn't see to ride cause the smoke haha. but most people want there nice quads to do everything right and run perfect so like i say i wouldn't worry about it till it took atleast 1-2 min for it to stop.. if thats the case you could prolly ride for another year and a half or so on those seals (give or take a few months)

O dang that is a HUGE relief i was thinking something bad was going on lol So glad its nothing really bad.....yet.

and to update i put a 45 pilot in and it still backfires when "coming down" its not as bad now but i cant go any bigger on the pilot because it is starting to develop a bog when i punch it.... on second thought that might be my needle/ main... hmmmm i might have to piss with that someday

ok so is it possible that since im using octane booster that it has made the valve stem seals mess up?

i doubt it... they just wear over time..... why are you using octane booster tho? any real reason? octane actually lowers the "flamability" of the gas so if you think its like "turbo booster" your wrong

octane booster works VERY well on cleaning the valve seats, and valves... thats all i've ever used it for but i agree it's not for boosting power

I am using some lucas oil octane booster. The main reason im using it is because it makes it run and idle smoother.

my 87 smokes worse than most 2 strokes till it warms up. It still runs great other than that so I prolly won't change them till the rings wear out, lol I am also a hardcore chevy fan so I am use to smoking at startup, i grew up around... I think it's just a must have now, lol

all the chevy's i've had never smoked on startup... although all of em i've ever had i pulled the motor and built a hotrod out of lol

Back