axle

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20warrior00

Reaction score
hey, my left side axle bearing keeps going bad it wont last more than a week if im lucky. what would cause this? im thinking its my axle cause on the sprocket side of the axle where the bearing sets on theres a groove all around the axle. would that cause it? if so could i weld up the groove? my grandfathers a professional welder so it would be a good strong weld. what do guys think?

no the axle is strait as can be, i have a extra axle two and when i slide a bearing on ether of them the bearing wobbles and has some up and down play

20warrior00 said:
no the axle is strait as can be, i have a extra axle two and when i slide a bearing on ether of them the bearing wobbles and has some up and down play

What bearing are you using and is it sealed?
Should not wobble or have up or down play. Should fit snuggly on to axle. The other thing I could think of was that the axle could be not adjusted right. Maybe. Is water getting into the bearing. Pic's would be helpful. What is actually parts are wearing? Did you assemble it with the spacer inbetween the bearings?

everythings apart it hasnt moved since september cause i blew it up and im just starting to get it going now, the bearing is a sealed bearing its not water getting in there cause the last time the bearing failed i only drove it for like an hour or more without going in any water. the bearings are loose on both my of my axles (its a new bearing).it seems to be worn out where the bearing sets on the axle. i was thinking of welding the axle up where its worn so the bearing seats properly cause i cant aford a new axle or a used one for that matter.

perhaps the housing is a bit outta wack? it weird to be constantly throwing one bearing and not notice play in the housing when both are ok.

HPIM0723.jpg
HPIM0724.jpg
HPIM0725.jpg
HPIM0726.jpg
HPIM0727.jpg
HPIM0728.jpg

the first three is the axle i was running and the last three is my extra axle but they both have play where the bearing sets on there.

oh and when i siad the groove is on the sprocket side its actually on the rotor sides but there is a slight groove on the sprocket side to..

hard to see from the pics but a small grooved area in the axle shaft is not going to blow your seals and bearings out. Make sure it all straight and put together correctly and rolls smoothly.

No, there definitely should not be any play between the bearing and axle. Mine fit with just enough clearance that it would slide on without forcing it. If I had to make a bet, I would say that the bearings you're getting are the wrong size. I've never heard anything good about all balls bearings, try a different brand. I've used the cheap no-name bearings on rockymountainatv.com and they worked great for me, actually they've lasted longer than my Pivot Works bearings did.

I hate fixing things repeatedly, so when my bearings failed for the second time, I drilled and tapped the axle carrier and installed a grease fitting. Then after the axle was installed i pumped the bitch full of industrial equipment grease and then gave it an extra pump of grease a couple times a year. Before that, I was killing axle bearings about once a year, i think mainly because i ride in mud and water a lot and a little bit was getting past the seals. The cheap bearings have been in it for about 3 years now and are as tight as the day I installed them. If you do this, I would recommend using a lighter duty grease than I did. What I used is about the toughest grease out there, which will make the bearings and seals last forever, but because of how thick it is, it noticably added to the rolling resistance of the axle.

ive actually tried a no name bearing, the all balls kit, and a kit off ebay(which is probly a no name) the bearing i have now is a 6008RS (no name) sound right?

And you do have a spacer between the bearings, right? Jason asked you and you never answered... the bearings will definitely get torn to hell if there's no spacer.

Hmm, this is an odd problem, I never heard of anyone else having this trouble before. I'm pretty sure my bearings always fit pretty snug on the axle.

20warrior00 said:
i have ran it once with out and it actually lasted longer but the last few times i had it in. out of curiosity whats it needed for?

Without the spacer, when you torque down the axle nuts the inner bearing races will get pulled together and put all the force from the tension on the axle nuts onto the sides of the bearings. The spacer gets pinched between the inner bearing races and prevents them from being pulled to one side like that.

Back