Anyone else work with CAD?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeBloom

Reaction score
So, I've been taking drafting classes for 4 straight years in school. Last year was the first year I got to really work with AutoCAD, and this year we've begun to work with Autodesk Inventor. Anyways, since I'm a novice, I was curious who else works with AutoCAD or Inventor (or any 2D/3D CAD program). If so, how long have you been using it? What level of skill do you consider yourself to be at? What do you draft? Do you have a career in engineering? An example of something you've drafted would be pretty cool also.

Just trying to kind of get an idea of who else is interested in engineering like me, and what can be done with CAD once I gain some more skill...

I'm a beginner but man dads a ******* master! It's all he does next to managing, basically running half a machine shop. Not a small place either. It's huge!

I'm a beginner but man dads a ******* master! It's all he does next to managing, basically running half a machine shop. Not a small place either. It's huge!

Damn, that's awesome. You take drafting classes at school?

naw, i just learn as i go. LOL! but i dont find it that hard. i just jump on my dads computer and go!

naw, i just learn as i go. LOL! but i dont find it that hard. i just jump on my dads computer and go!

Gotcha. It is pretty easy honestly, at times it can be pretty fun. The 3D stuff is a bit harder to get into at first but I've gotten used to it. What do you draft when you're on your dad's computer?

stuff for my quad, like wheel spacers (for my blaster), my steel skidplate i made a 2d design for it for the CNC plasma cutter thing. lots of other ****.

stuff for my quad, like wheel spacers (for my blaster), my steel skidplate i made a 2d design for it for the CNC plasma cutter thing. lots of other ****.

How much did the steel cost for the skidplate? I'm assuming much cheaper than buying a skidplate?

How much did the steel cost for the skidplate? I'm assuming much cheaper than buying a skidplate?

dude it was free for me, but yeah it would be MUCH cheaper. if ya wanted you could even cut it out with the right tools.

dude it was free for me, but yeah it would be MUCH cheaper. if ya wanted you could even cut it out with the right tools.

My dad works at a machine shop, i'm not sure exactly what he can and can't do, but it's a possibility. i might have to ask him.

I've been working with autoCAD for 7 years started in high school and now have a job using it in engineering. I have done 2D, 3D, and Isometrics. When i was in college we were taught to use Pro engineer and CREO but i feel like i have mastered ProE better than AutoCAD. anyway i have drawn up parts before but don't have any access to machines to make any of it.

I've been working with autoCAD for 7 years started in high school and now have a job using it in engineering. I have done 2D, 3D, and Isometrics. When i was in college we were taught to use Pro engineer and CREO but i feel like i have mastered ProE better than AutoCAD. anyway i have drawn up parts before but don't have any access to machines to make any of it.

Awesome that you were able to get a job using the skills you learned in high school. Hopefully the same kind of deal happens to me...

I got my degree in mechanical drafting. Haven't find me a job in the field yet but hopefully I will some time. I might have to move somewhere to find one, who knows.

Back