Anyone else ever blow apart thier headpipe??

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynxgen

Reaction score
So i was out riding today, and then just when I decided to turn and head home, she got realy loud.

What I realy noticed, was the loudness of the valves/lifters. I Had just checked clearances the other day, and thought maybe I didnt get em snug enough r something, so I pull over and shut her down.. then I found this.. :

201007181544.jpg

I literaly blew apart the mid pipe. Opened her right up!!

so i decided to limp her home. I stopped a couple times to let her cool down n such, as I figure now shes gotta be runnin lean!! lol wide open exhaust...

and now shes blown right off, and if you look close, shes even cracked above the open hole.. lol

201007181630.jpg

...sooo.. now i guess Im needing a mid pipe.. and exhaust pipe as well, since mines butchered..

so anything like this happen to anyone else? I've never seen such a thing.

I did notice a bunch of flames shooting out the hole when I had her running.. guess maybe shes a bit rich.. lol.. cant help but think even still that she should be lean though.. doesnt make any sense at all..

lota backifiring goin on.. especialy now with the pipe opened up...

too bad I didnt have a turbo. I could claim it as an "Anti-lag" or a.k.a "Mis-fire system" or a.k.a. "Bang bang." lol

and heres another shot.. shows the pertty blue flames... kinda mellow compared to how it shoots out some times.. dont let the pick fool you. and when I ramp her up and let off, she backfires, and ya get a nice yellow flame poppin out the side...

201007181857.jpg

HAH, Holy yit man. That's craziness! I have never heard of, or seen anything like that.

HAH, Holy yit man. That's craziness! I have never heard of, or seen anything like that.

me neither.. and the scary part is, its not like its from compression/backpressure..
where the mid pipe joins to the exhaustpipe/muffler is so loose, I may as well run it straight piped..

Im still deaf as hell from the ride home.. I still cant hear outta one ear.

I fired it up in the garage and it was vibrating **** in the house, which is about 10-15ft and separate.. lol

needless to say, im looking into new complete pipes/exahust. may as well go all out once again..

maybe a powerbomb header and (Insert exhaust here) kinda thing?

(I only say power bomb as its the only one I know of so far.. lol)

Just purrusing the exhaust comparisions thread, and then I'll try and pick a few, and then youtube compare etc etc.. *Sighs* wonder how it would do just straight piped.. I could do that for free.. lol exhaust bender and **** at work.. rejet for totaly free flow... prolly more hp.. less tourque? nah..

LOUD AS HELL!!! for sure!!

anyone see a problem running it straight piped? pretty much how it is at the moment... lol

so if thats your "mid pipe" that blew out... then whats a "head pipe" hehehe... anyways yeah ive never seen or heard of that either.... you better check your jetting when you get it back together.... i wonder if its not lean and that part of the pipe got really hot and thats why it was able to come apart like that...

Idk might just be the condition of the head pipe it looks like it has been to hell and back.

Aright, got her fixed today. welded up the cracks, and then put a replacement chunk of pipe over the hole.. lol works well enough. Plus I got the rest of it fixed up as well.
it'll do till I can get a new pipe n all that. gona splurge for a hole complete exhaust sometime when funds permit.. lol

I been trying to figure out my jetting etc since I got it running.. I just cant figure it out at all.

My problem is I cant tell the diff between wether its running lean or rich..

the difference between a soft stumble, or hard stumble.

now with the pipe all back together, it kinda coughs n sputters down low until it gets up a little bit in the revs.. so probably stumbling/coughing sputtering around the up to 1/8-1/4 ish range.. but then I kinda turned up my idle mixutre to richen it up while I was limping it home... I know it wasnt much, but every little bit to save it helps ya know?

but I think it should only be 3 turns out now.. maybe up to 3.5 turns out.

so then it should be rich.. so then that would be a rich stumble right? lol

but it kinda gives me the impression of more like when you're running outta fuel...

and then I ws thinking the same thing about being lean and burning up the pipe, but then again, it had been givin of a few backfires here n there after the last time I tried re-tune it, after I had it apart. so maybe the back fires litteraly blew it apart.

but then again, I had a leak from where the header/midpipe joined to the fart can, and it had been running kinda free flowing as it was.

when I get on her, up top she seems bit more spunky.

on one hand its like shes running rich, on the other, It may be lean. or maybe its rich and good, or lean and good.

Im kinda getting the impression I need to raise or lower my needle.

I tried turning out the fuel screw on the carb while idling to see what a "hard stumble" was, but it just kinda started idling funky and then got to the point where the screw was almost ready to fall out... IE.. past the 4 turns out, which is sorta max recomended/acceptable from what I've read.

I've pulled the plug a couple times, and its usualy a bit blackish, but not ever too bad. just a hair or two rich. I almost wonder if the plug isnt the wrong heat range as well, although Im pretty certain its the right plug.

now with the exhaust re-done I need to take it out again and see, but just on the quick rip home, she was super boggy/cough sputter to start out with, then once she opened up a bit, she kinda sputtered and took off.

I dont know how it was jetted when I first got it. it came with the supertrapp, and a KnN air filter.
Then I put in the stage 1 hotcam.

I did a couple checks of the plug, and for the most part it always ran pretty good until recently when I messed up the intake tube going from the carb to the engine.

I found out my choke must have been forced in farther than it was suposed to go, kinda like that lil tip part of it on the end was forced into hole at the end of the chamber.

so now it runs like crap all over again.

I played with things a little bit, and when I went out yesterday, Id planned to pretty much try and figure it out n nail it down, but that didnt happen. now I had to refix the exhaust and everything, and everything should be good to actualy get back to tunning the carb again.. lol

anyone have any suggestions?

I cant help but think I should just rip it out, jump everything up 2 or maybe 3 jet sizes, test, re-jet, test, etc etc etc..

Or maybe I should just take it to someone who knows what the hell thier doin.. lol

As an automotive mechanic you think this would be simple for me.. lmao

*Sighs*
any suggestions??

okay, the stock main jet is 142.5?
I just finished reading that in a post. now,
I just found this:
http://www.yfm350.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15051

so essentialy, I have a Dynojet kit, the biggest jet being a 150, its actualy smaller than a 142.5... ?? WTF???

so essentialy, this kit is usless..

I sure woulda been confused all to hell if I didnt just stumble across this, especialy since im about to rip the carb out.. lol.

Im gona rip it out and all apart tonight, box it, take it to work and clean the hell outta everything, get the numbers off the jets if I can, then see about ordering/getting the next couple sizes up, and one down. Then Im just gona start with the biggest ones and go from there.. lol

I dont know what else to do other than get a bunch of jets and plugs, and start up some long n pita trial and error.. unless some one else has better ideas? lol

I need a test place... the main trail is inconvienient.

OH! Guy at work lives about 6-8 miles outta town, 1-2miles down a dead end gravel road no less!! and he has a shop n stuff.. purrrfect.. lol!!

but ugh.. thats gona suck.. but I'll be soo happy when its done..

but seriously, anyone else with any ideas/suggestions, reccommendation on jet sizes etc, please chime in!!

just ripped my carb apart n all that fun stuff.. Im speculating stock main is 145.
thats whats in mine, and also the replacement one that came with my rebuild kit. :D

which means the largest Dynojet main in my jet kit, is totaly useless.. ?? ugh

I wonder if one of the mechs at work would have something to measure this stuff n verify...

also. the needle in my carb, and the one in the rebuild kit, seem to be a hair longer and slightly skinnier, and perhaps slightly different taper than the one in the dyno jet kit.

this being, I suspect placing the clip IE on number one of the Dynojet needle, would be the aproximate equivelant of placing it on number 2 position of the OEM/stock needles.
and the Dyno jet would open up faster, but not as much overall.. if that makes sense..??

I could be off on which would respond/open up quicker.

heres a pick.. :

201007192243.jpg

on top is the one included in the rebuild kit. Middle is the one I pulled out of my carb, (set on 3rd slot from top,) and the one on bottom is the one from the DynoJet kit (Which I now realize is stage one kit. and likely old. the stickers etc on kit shows its gone on sale a couple times/been reduced in price while sitting at the dealer. DynoJet only lists a stage 1&2 kit for warrior, I got the impression they both came together as one kit? I went looking to try and verify the info on the differences in numbering/identification..))

at any rate, its kinda wonky dont we all agree.. ?

Im tempted to fool around with the different needles and she how she reacts, however, Im just not tuned in enough to her yet to realy know any different.. hell Im still having problems figuring out a decent base tune!!!

anyways, i have a tone of picks to upload for the carb, and hopefully someone will rebuild the jetting and carb threads.. I contemplating taking all the jetting and carb and carb cleaning threads, comments and responses and questions and their answers and gathering them all into one Carb Masters 101 thread, more or less combining all the carb and jetting stuff.. but then again, theres only 5 or 6 threads, so pretty quick to read through n all that.. lol

and oh yeah pick of the repaired pipe.. not the prettiest, but works good for the time being.. lol

201007192038.jpg

Last edited:
Holy **** thats ghetto as ****! some one sell this guy a pipe for the cost of shipping!

Holy **** thats ghetto as ****! some one sell this guy a pipe for the cost of shipping!

lmao.. nah its kewl.

"Function, not fashion..." For now!
make me my own Power bomb type header!!! lmfao...

its just a band aid for the time being.
I'll fix her up good all in due time. lol

besides thats the spot where the strongest exhaust pulses musta ben hitting. now its tougher, less forgiving and forces it alonf farther down the pipe. Slightly more expanded/wider at the very particular point, the perfect spot for my particular machine. it should do amazing things, never mind the "Powerbomb headpipe!!"
Lmao

yeah okay, that last paragraph was just spewing crud outta my tush trying to make myself feel better about the ugly spot on my warrior.. *Shrugs defeated*

Hahaha, hope on you local craigslist, I bet you could find a stock header for cheap. I'm sure that fix is doing something for your performance, and I'm guessing that its not good, messing up the flow and all.

i had it happen to mine but not as bad it just had a big crack in it...i was riding around like wtf is going on my valve train was noisier, less power and it backfired real bad. lol

i had it happen to mine but not as bad it just had a big crack in it...i was riding around like wtf is going on my valve train was noisier, less power and it backfired real bad. lol

yeah, the valve train is what I noticed first lol
and then the backfiring.. an then it got REAL loud.. bet it could easily be heard 2-3miles away. didnt notice a power loss though.. But I was flat out down the trail home.

(Around here all the old train train tracks have been turned into riding trails.. connect to the cross canada trail system.. but its pretty much like a road, kinda sandy/gravely-ish, the old track bed.) theres other funner places, pits and trail systems that you can get to easy from it, and the main trail runs a block from my house :D)

Back