Another warrior that will only roll start?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eshs_riddle

Reaction score
Ok so I no there are already a ton of post about warrior stator/starter issues. However I cant seem to figure out what is wrong with mine. It all started last week. I was riding through the woods and cut the warrior off. When I went to start it back it just cranks and cranks and cranks but no fire. All the nutreal and reverse lights still work and the headlights as well. The bike cranks right up if you roll start it and runs strong. The spark plug is firing when the start button is pushed. However I noticed that now when I ride it by push starting it ,the battery is no longer charging. All the safety lights and headlights still work whether the bike is running or not. So here again are all the symptoms

-Bike roll starts but will not start with start button
-spark plug fires with use of start button
-engine turns over with start button
-all lights work as normal
-the battery is no longer being charged when the engine is running
-engine has full compression and runs strong after roll start

I hope someone can help me figure out this problem!!!
Thanks

You got me confused, you first say it won't fire just cranks and push start it works, then say it fires with the start button but doesn't start with the start button. Are you meaning it will turnover with the start button but the spark plug doesn't fire?

From what you said sounds like something with the stator, when you push start it you get it rolling and spinning over faster then what the starter will. So it gives it enough spark push starting but not enough with the starter if that makes sense. I would test the stator and charging system. Make sure all the wires are in good shape, no bad connections.

sounds like the pickup coil on the stator, but the only way to know for sure is to ohm the components. if you have a manual it will tell what each component should spec at. if you dont have a manual under the tutorials section there is a downloadable .pdf file one. check out that and we can go from there.

You got me confused, you first say it won't fire just cranks and push start it works, then say it fires with the start button but doesn't start with the start button. Are you meaning it will turnover with the start button but the spark plug doesn't fire?

From what you said sounds like something with the stator, when you push start it you get it rolling and spinning over faster then what the starter will. So it gives it enough spark push starting but not enough with the starter if that makes sense. I would test the stator and charging system. Make sure all the wires are in good shape, no bad connections.

What I meant is the spark plug is still sparking as usually when using the start button. But the bike still wont crank.

ok. So i still havent solved this problem and it is beginning to drive me crazy. When I press the start button the engine turns over but wont start. The spark plug is firing. The cdi tested good. It still roll starts. All the lights work(nuetral, reverse, headlights) when the engine is off or running. However after I roll start it, I noticed that the battery is now just barely charging. Any suggestions? The stator has around 200ohm on each side.
Thanks for the help!!

Like I tried to say before, you might get spark with the start button but not enough, when you roll start it, it will spin faster than the starter will spin, hence getting a better spark and being able to start. I would believe 1998yamahawarrior, that the stator or pick up coil is giving you problems.

Like I tried to say before, you might get spark with the start button but not enough, when you roll start it, it will spin faster than the starter will spin, hence getting a better spark and being able to start. I would believe 1998yamahawarrior, that the stator or pick up coil is giving you problems.

Yep, you said your battery isn't charging and that's what charges it. Also check all your grounds just to make sure

Yup even said in a previous post about about checking all connections cause something might be corroded or loose. Check everything out to make sure its in order and its the stator thats bad, if it is you can get a better stator at rm stator for about 150, I think.

a good way to test that is to hook it up to a jumper box and see if it start up .. if it does then i would start with the up pick .. or you can do what i did and put the pull start on it

Worth a shot, but still if the stator is bad where it gets its most from then then the extra jump may not work since all it does is spin the starter over.

if you charge the battery all the way it will run for min or two off the battery just like a car with a and alt. Mine did before I replaced the stator

But still even if the batt is fully charged, it will only spin so fast, roll start in gear will spin it faster thus creating the better spark and once its going will have that spark due to it running. In theory anyway. Still think the problem is with in the stator or pick up coil.

Also after you have it running if you disconect the battery and it dies you know the stator isn't working correctly or at all

Thanks guys for all the help. Does anyone know how I can test just the pickup coil alone? I am on the verge of just ordering the whole stator but want to be sure. And Bones, i thought about putting a pull start on it but I dont think it will work on a 1998 bc of no compression switch.

Last edited:
yeah it will work mine has no decompression switch i just have to stand on the nerf bar to start it or i just lift the 4 wheeler off the ground

Update Warrior Stator

Ok so i just installed new starter clutch to see if that may be the problem. Now the engine turns over smoothy without the clanking it had before. However still wont start. Now I am getting no spark at all. All electrical(headlights, nuetral & reverse lights, start button) still work and it will still roll start easily. All the connections are clean and tight. The cdi tested good. Both stator wires test in the mid 200ohms. So I am ordering a new stator today. Does anyone have any experiece with the rm stators. There is one for 125 on ebay brand new and I was wondering if they are a POS. Again thanks everyone for the feedback!

Back