Another Starting Problem!!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ba9801

Reaction score
OK here is the situation
I built this 87 warrior from a bare frame. It was a running bike before we took it apart but it ran poorly as the cylinder was well worn and the carb was a mess. Anyway we disassembled the entire bike, sandblasted it and painted the frame. I had the cylinder bored and a new Wiesco piston put in, I rebuilt the Mukuni VM 36 carb. The wiring looked to be in good shape but had new battery cables made up for it anyway. I put a new MSD ignition coil on it and a good used Key switch and headlight switch as the guy before me was racing it and had no lights and a tether kill. It has a new battery as well. OK so here is the problem.... The complete bike is assembled and we are getting no spark so I tried the original coil that was on the bike when we got it along with one on a running 92 warrior. Still no spark. Ok so we started testing some things and we were not getting any signal out of the CDI to the coil so I bought a brand new Yamaha CDI. We seam to have some signal coming out of the CDI now but not enough to fire the coil. I have tested the Pickup coil and the resistance is 192 ohms, it calls for 230-300 or so, Is this enough to cause a problem with the signal to the CDI? I am not worried about the carb or engine as being a problem at this point. I have tried to run the engine on carb cleaner and no effect, also I have checked the timing chain 3 times to make sure we are on TDC. We do have compression and everything mechanically seams to be working well. I then though I may have a problem with the connector from the magneto to the harness so I cut off the connector and directly connected the wires, this made no difference either. We have checked both the ignition switch and kill switch for continuity and they are good and working when you change the positions on the switch. Also we are able to manually fire the ignition coil by powering it up so the coil looks to be good as well. We also tried 3 different spark plug wires and 2 spark plugs. I have also run additional grounds to make sure it is not a problem with too much paint on the frame. Also when I painted the engine the spark plug was in and taped up so I know the spark plug is grounded to the engine as the head was sandblasted when it was all apart.

Any help sorting this problem would be very appreciated as it is my wife's bike and she would really like to go riding.

Thanks

it probably is the pick up coil that is what tells the system when to fire. by it be off like that its not a strong enuff signal to get a good spark.

Thanks, That is what I was thinking. I will order a new stator assembly from Rickystator and see how it works out.

What Msd coil are you using and if anybody has used them in the past have they notice a difference in the way their machine was running after they installed it.

It is a MSD ATV/PWC Pro Coil PN 42921.

I will let you know once I get it to run
:)

OK so I have replaced the CDI, Full Stator Assembly, took the entire wire harness back off the bike and checked all the connectors and checked continuity of every wire. All the wiring is clean and good. I reinstalled the harness and the bike will not start with the starter or the pull starter, It will start if dragged by another vehicle but it will not stay running at all. I have checked the start switch and the key switch and they are good. The clutch safety switch is disconnected. The bike does the same thing with both CDI units I have.
I have no ideas at this point and I about ready to take it to Yamaha dealer to get it to run.
Oh I have again checked the timing and it is on. I am pretty sure my Carb needs some adjustments because once it does start it wants to bog when the throttle is pushed, anyway I dont think the Carb is my initial starting problem as it wont runn of carb cleaner or starting fluid either.

OK so I just ordered a used Rotor (Flywheel) from an 89 as 87-89 use the same one. I also just ordered the flywheel removal tool from Motion Pro. I talked to a tech at the Yamaha dealer and he said the magnets in the flywheel may be week. I think this is a long shot but I am completely out of ideas to fix this bike.

I have given up on trying to fix this bike myself, I have taken it to a local Bike shop, I will let you know what they find out.

i had almost the same problem with my '94 warrior. the people before me had the wiring all screwed up and the ground for the CDI taken loose and of coarse bad ground on CDI will fry it BUT my cdi was good all except the coil wire. Hooking ground lead on my tester to ground on cdi and hot lead on tester to coil wire showed a reading of .001 ohms. so i had a extra CDI laying around and put it on and i get spark and a very hot spark but the only way i can get it to crank is to hook it behind another ATV and put it in 6th gear hold the clutch in until i'm up to speed. but doing that it cranks easy and runs good and has LOADS of power and the bike has good compression so i'm thinking i got a bad plug or exhaust is clogged up.
have you checked the stator tolerance? bad stator means no sparky.
BTW i'm new to the forums... i'll get pics up of my warrior... i've only had it a week and it's in rough ish condition but i paid $200 for a "non running" project bike and what i got was a running project bike :)

welll i hope you get it fixed up

Well I called the Motorcycle shop today and they have not yet figured it out either. I hope they will have an idea in a couple days.

ok finally got my bike back from the cycle shop and they changed everything... Coil, CDI, Stator, Rotor. They said that my parts were incompatible and that they were not for an 87 warrior. I know for sure that they all were for an 87 Warrior. The CDI they put on is not for an 87 and is wired up all crazy. They spliced into my harness and riged it all up. Now the bike runs but it is not right. Also now the bike will only start in neutral. What a pain in the ass. I am going to have to rip it all back apart and redo all the crap they screwed up. They also left all the bolts out of my rear plastics and lost my rubber strap battery hold down which I had just bought new from Yamaha. Needless to say will not be using them again. :(

when it's RIGHT it will only start in neutral. i've owned 4 warriors and they have all been like that and i've got a yamaha xt 225 electric start dirtbike (it uses the warrior cdi, and voltage reg) and it only starts in neutral.
in gear with clutch pulled they still wont start... :/

warriorgirl09 said:
when it's RIGHT it will only start in neutral. i've owned 4 warriors and they have all been like that and i've got a yamaha xt 225 electric start dirtbike (it uses the warrior cdi, and voltage reg) and it only starts in neutral.
in gear with clutch pulled they still wont start... :/

eh no sorry they should also start in gear with the clutch in.... the problem is that the clutch switch is not plugged in to the stock clutch lever or if it is an aftermarket lever you gotta plug the clutch switch wires together..... with an aftermarket lever and the wire plugged together it will also start in gear with the clutch out.... well it will try to turn over at least...

Back