another new warrior owner, merry meet everyone!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynxgen

Reaction score
So first off, hello everyone.

Last week I finaly got y hands on my income tax return.. hehe

I knew I wanted a quad, and had a good two weeks before hand of searching n researching etc etc. When It all came down to it, I landed on this 92 warrior. It wasnt quite my first pick, (There was 2 others, one an 02 and another that was an 98.)

At any rate, i drove down, took it for a couple quick test rides, talked the guy down from 1750 to 1450, loaded her up n came home.

Got home, unloaded her, fired her up, and rode her into my garage.

so day one:
201004062324-1.jpg

201004062324.jpg

shes a clean looking machine all things considered.
so far all id figured out is she has a supertrapp exhaust, and a K&N air filter.

the next day/night I never had a chance to ride her or go for a rip.
had to take back the trailor I borrowed, (I had the inlaws Tahoe to go pick it up and a trailor I borrowed from their neighbours)

got back and it was too late to ride her, so i spent some time on the puter doing some research and reading, downloading the service manuals and all that jazz, peaking around vendors sites to see what kinda sexy stuff I can aquire for her to make her look great, and go faster.. and boy was I impressed once more witht eh support for these machines.

day three...

get home from work, run up to the store and such quick for the ole lady, and anxiously get ready to take her for a ride. Buddy from work stops by to check her out, and of course i fired it up so he could hear it and such, give her a chance to warm up a bit before I go out.

the plan was to pretty much just run her over to the shop, give her a good looking over, maybe reset teh toe so the bars were straight, a few shots of grease if she needed it etc etc.

So I FINALY get to take her for a rip, and luckily for me, i live only a block away from the trails, right on the perfect edge of town.

any ways, to make a long story short, I went donw the block, across, turned, down the ally, across the street, hopped the curb, then aout another 50-60 feet to the trail, (Old train tracks, but now used for a atv/bike/sled trail system) I went far enough down the trail to get her into 6th gear, got the engine about 1/3 to 1/2 up the rpm range, and...

SHE DIED!

just shut right down... like I'd hit the kill switch...

check fuel
so start jiggling and wiggling wires and crap.. no tools... ugh..
pull fuel line off carb.. yup, got fuel..
got fuel.. must be no spark...

Phone buddy.

quad goes to my shop... I go home.

day four:

get playing and tinkering... got spark.. no fuel on plug.. WTF?? carb messed up??

compression test..

first test = 90
2nd = 0

3rd = 30..

wtf???

in the long run...

cam sprocket bolt loosened off.. key ripped its way out between the camshaft and the cam sprocket....

ugh..

needs new cam shaft and sprocket. and I guess some gaskets, cuz I should probably rip the case open and find that key and a few other small pieces off the shaft...

Some one needs a kick in the butt!!!

so, day 4:

201004091606.jpg

I think, since I called the dealer and a new camshaft is 230$, plus 5 or so days away, I may as well order a stage 1 or 2 hotcam for 130-170$ lol

Im guessing I should probably just go with a stage one, as I get the impression stage 2 is to go along with stroker kits and such.

I would just do up the hole thing.. found all the parts together for like 600+ on.. you know, that site.. hehe.. but the crappy part is, I just wasted the rest of my tax return on paying bills and the ole ladies birthday yesterday.. lol

I could save up the money in a mnth, but I want this back together asap.. besides that, got a big maylong quad/camping party lined up, and I realy dont want to have to borrow the inlaws big ole heavy 4x4 po laris... ick

but anyways, guess thats my intro post, introducing me, and my 92 350 warrior.

a bit jaded and sad, I figured I'd get to ride her a bit more before she broke.. wasnt expecting a brand new machine or nothing, but shessh... like for real...??? couldnt last me a mnth or two, or even the season without needed just some minor tlc or something??

aww well.. she'll be a great toy when im done....

:D

well if you go into the woods you gotta expect mosquitoes! at least your working the bugs out now.. i mean.. imagine if that bolt had let loose on your big maylong quad ride.. youda been sittin alllllllll weekend!

welocme to the site!

Damn man, that sucks, but makes me scratch my head too? Why did that bolt come loose? Has the cam chain been replace recently? You should asked the guy you got it from. If he replaced it and didn't tighten the bolt to spec, then I'd get my money back.

Anyways, Welcome to the site man! Have a look around, tons of good info on here.

Welcome to the site . Bad deal or bad luck , that cam gear has to be tourqed to spec . When mine came loose on the previous owners it also bent valves . Id check them before you put it back together . Dont want to tear it apart again just for that .

Wel, looks like the cam chain is awefully new... and theres deffinate signs that the engine was out not that long ago.

I suspect they just didnt get that bolt on quite right.

As it is, I got the top and bottom end gaskets comming, sprocket, bolts, stage 1 hotcam, etc etc on its way... should have it all here mid next week.

Pulled the head off today once I had the upper gaskets on hand, and relived to say the piston head and valves never came in contact... I rotated the cam with a wrench one full rotation, just to see if maybe a bearing or something siezed up causing the shaft to halt, potentialy causing the havock, and everything seems to operate properly.

bit of buildup on the one valve bottom, but meh.

piston and everything will be fine.

soo, in theory, I should have it back up and running by next weekend, 405$ in parts later..

they estimated like 800, prolly closer to 1000, and possibly 12 or 1400$ to do the work for me.. 95$/hr shop rate.

i was like erm.. seriously? the engines already out... swap the cam, re-adjust the valves, split the one side of the engine open, clean out, re-assemble... a day and a half?? i dont wnat everything measured and tweaked and crap.. just clean it, and re-assemble..

i think I'll be doin it myself... its not that I cant and dont have the tools... its just im an automotive tech, not atv/bike/small engines... but meh.. I have the manual with step by step instructions.. im laughing now!! I should do small engines on the side.. 25$/hr, just as a weekend hobby.. lol

as for getting any money back or anything, well, we used a very important clause, that I use with vehicles all the time... "Sold as is."

lol

the thing that sucks the most, is now I gotta wait tillnext payday, 2 fridays away, before I can get the dang twist throttle for it... *Pouts*

still gotta get some helmet speakers for the mp3 player, and for some wierd odd reason I cant explan, i want a nice shimmery, shiny Transformers sticker to put on the nose of her.. haha!

i do have a pick of the engine with the top part of the head open on the bench, but i never got it uploaded to photobucket yet.. hmm.. maybe I should start a build/diary/repair/history thread for this thing.. if there is such a thing on this forum, im sure there is someplace.. most of my auto forums have em too.. lol

anyways, laters, and thanks for the welcoms, and for looking!!

~L~

Yupp, in the general board, you can post a rebuild thread. Its common practice on here. Its always fun to see what everyone is dong to there warrior/rappy350. have fun with the fix, hope it all goes smooth for yah.

yeah there are a lot of builds going on right now. and good luck with yours man. check put mine in the general board too

yammirider1990 said:
yeah there are a lot of builds going on right now. and good luck with yours man. check put mine in the general board too

Aye, I been reading through some of em, seeing whos done what and what experiences they've had etc. Some pretty kickin stuff everywhere!
Its so much nicer to work onthese than my cars... everythings sooo much cheaper, simpler... hmm.. I just might have to switch professions one day!!

at anyrate, started a build/history log for my 92 warrior: from here on out, most everything will be dealt with/reported etc here:

http://www.trx450rforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=10576

Back