Alba 400 stroker kit

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the Alba you have to send your crank to them to get it modified, I believe they move the crank pin 3.5mm up, for a total of 7mm. Hot rods which Death sells on here, is just a bolt in kit, new crank and piston, just get a better camshaft, and your set, and it won't cost you $1,300. If your looking to spend that kind of money, give FST a call, their stroker is a total of 10.5mm. So crank, piston, case bore, new cylinder pressed in, porting on your head, and a bigger cam, will cost you $1,024.00. Oh and the Alba/Hotrods, motors will be 397cc with 1mm overbore, the FST kit with 4mm bore becaome 446cc.

He replaces your old cylinder by pressing it out, and pressing a newer thicker one. 85mm is the limit of overbore with the stock cylinder. He bores out the aluminum finned area, and then presses the oversized cylinder jug in. The oversize jug can go to I think 88mm, he bores it to 87, so you have 1mm left for a future rebuild.

I'd be worried about the reliability of the FST kit, mainly because of having to get rid of more heat, and less material to absorb the same heat. Even with an oil cooler, that won't do much to remedy the problem if your cylinder gets too hot and cracks or warps. I'd feel a lot more confident with something like the Hot Rods kit, which isn't so extreme and leaves your cylinder walls thicker. Even with that you'll still have to be a little careful and pay attention to how you ride.

how much thinner will the fst make my cylinder wall, will it still be reliable
It'll be reliable, you just need to add an oil cooler, check out our tutorial section on oil coolers.

I'll give you guys a full report next summer when we ride in the dead of heat for 6hrs, don't worry I will battle test it. The worst thing for the Warrior is standing still, your actually better off reving the hell out of it while riding, so the air will cool the engine. There are a coulpe of guys over on the bluetraxx forums that have had the 446 stroker for a few years with no problems that I have read about.

i've always been leaning towards the hotrod kit, but the price of what you're getting done sounds pretty appealing

Dude, Mickey told me, if there were any problems with this motor he wouldn't build them anymore, simple as that. Actually he never had any problems with the 500cc Warrior motor, he discontinued because peolpe didn't buy it due to the overall cast due to the extreme machine work needed, to have the motor hold up.

damn a raptor 450 would be f-ing awesome, but i don't have that kinda money

damn a raptor 450 would be f-ing awesome, but i don't have that kinda money

But i do because NO ONE IS BUYING MY F*IN RAPTOR!!! so hmmm

Actually he never had any problems with the 500cc Warrior motor, he discontinued because peolpe didn't buy it due to the overall cast due to the extreme machine work needed, to have the motor hold up.

Strange..... What "extreme machine work" are you refering to exactly?

Sounds like theyre already building new cranks... so that aint it.

Pistons... really no difference in 'cost' from sizes so close to one another... so that aint it.

Re-sleeving and bore/hone..... its not that expensive.

Marking it up waaaaay too much.... yeah, that'll stop people from buying it.

Due to the size of the bore for the 500, he actually had to redesign the cylinder, meaning a lot of machine work went into the cylinder casing to strengthen it and be able to cool the beast, because at that point you are reducing the aluminum so much, you are really compramizing the cooling. Listen some people have issues with Mickey Dunlap and FST and question the reliability and the cooling ability, but I've done a lot of buisness with him before, on other peoples bikes, and never ever once had a problem with his products, go on bluetraxx and search "446 stroker" and read the posts, thats what I did.

how much thinner will the fst make my cylinder wall, will it still be reliable
Also I forgot to mention, if your so worried about cooling, he also offers the 435 stroker, which still uses a brand new thicker cylinder, but only has a 86mm bore. Check out powrolls site they offer somthing very similar, if they weren't reliable they wouldn't sell them.

Due to the size of the bore for the 500, he actually had to redesign the cylinder...

And the size of the bore he was using was? Stroke length? CR?

Sorry, something still doesnt sound quite right. If the re-sleeve necessary was so large that the stock cylinder block was compromised in strength, then trying to modify it to compensate is the wrong way to do it. Making a brand new block from scratch to spec is the proper way, it would be cheaper in the long run as well. For example, APE does exactly that for certain big-bore applications for drag-bikes.

Please dont take it the wrong way, I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I just want to understand what was supposedly done.

Please feel free to get as technical as possible, I've been building engines a long time.

This isn't about the 500 anyway, it was about weather the alba 400 was good or not, and I stand by my answer before, it's good but IMO not for the money, not when FST sells it for less with a 4mm longer stroke, a new cylinder jug, and port and flow the head. As far as the 500 goes I'm outa answers, you'll have call FST to get the whole scoop on it.

[quote author=dave76 board=general thread=1164079075 post=1164332614]Due to the size of the bore for the 500, he actually had to redesign the cylinder

Making a brand new block from scratch to spec is the proper way, it would be cheaper in the long run as well....

There you go you may have answered your question yourself, mabe this is what he was talking about, with the extensive cost.
You wanna talk anymore PM me, theres is no need to jack this thread on an engine that is dicontinued.......

Here's somthing I found on Bluetraxx.....

"The 446 survived the baja 1000 with mike penland aboard.(wolverine)."
Got to give a good idea of reliabilaty.

Here's another......

"Four Stroke Tech DID make a 500 kit, but doesn't anymore. It just wasn't cost effective. A lot of extra cost due to custom parts and machining. Plus the two valve head can't flow enough for a 500cc engine to run strong"

And another

Quoted by Mickey Dunlap of FST
"The 500 had cost about $1000 more to build than a 435 with little more HP. When I build someone a motor or sell them a product I want them to get the most power for there money and I didnt feel the 500 was worth the exstra bucks,its just the way I do buiness."

Hey weather he was bullshiting or not, I got to believe him.

Thanks for the info. That stuff starts to make much better sense. Overall it sounds like he ran into a head/valve limitation, making the point of the custom jug pretty pointless. To really make it work right, completely reworked head would have also been required, and that would certainly send the price tag for the whole setup completely out-of-control.

Thanks again, I appreciate the added info. ;D

Back