Affect of +2 A Arms on effective spring rate

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bahnstoermer

Reaction score
I think the owner of my quad two people before me was a huge fat guy, according to stories I've heard at least. I was told the suspension has been upgraded, and it rides too stiff, maybe because the guy was huge I don't know. I don't know what suspension it is, or if it was misinformation and they haven't been upgraded at all. Either way it's too stiff for the trail riding I do.

Anyway, will installing longer A Arms have a net effect on spring rate? I think this means what I'm asking is if they (say Full Flight) built the arms such that for a given amount of wheel travel does the shock compress the same amount, or does the shock compress less for that given amount of wheel travel with the longer arms?

Yes, the angle one the arms stays the same, while the length is added to the outside of the shock. This extra 2" places more mechanical advantage on the shock making them softer. Also yes with +2 arms your wheel travel will increase some as the arms are still making the same degree of arc yet the 2" makes the arc length greater.

Great to know, thanks! And yes, placing the extra length outside the spring mount thus giving more mechanical advantage is a very precise way to describe the question/answer. Damn I'm rusty!

Back