advice on re-ringing a 2smoke?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikewarrior350

Reaction score
So im not big into 2strokes but my brothers got a blaster. Anyway we were out riding today and the thing would run fine but you couldnt kick start it for anything. we had to pull it with another quad to get it going. so we brought her home and changed the plug cause it was fouled. still wouldnt start. So i threw the compression tester on and discovered its only got like 30psi when it should be well over 100psi. pulled the motor out to do a leak test on the head gasket and found that the cylinder base gasket had a gaping hole in it and it was sucking air like crazy. im guessing the gasket blew out and that caused it to run lean and cooked the rings. Now i can still get it to run so im pretty sure that the ring didnt break or anything. The topend has about 2 yrs on it and he doesnt ride too much so im thinkin its prob in the range of 100hrs or so. I did the topend the last time and it had to be bored to the largest size piston available (.80 over) so at this point its gotta be resleeved. Im wondering if theres any real problem with just doing a light hone to get the crosshatch back and throw new rings in it and not have any problems. ive done this before on other peoples bikes but idk about how long its gonna last. anyone with experience chime in here cause i know very little about 2strokes

Two or 4 stroke, same-o same-o.
Gonna need to check the bore and piston for scoring and metal transfer before planning on a hone job.

Mega leanout = potential ugliness.

x2 if the cylinder wall is still smooth a good hone and rings should do, also give the piston a good loking over while your in there

I would look into getting a new piston. With over 100 hrs on that you dont want to take the chance of the piston skirt breaking and then damaging the cases when it gets banged around in the crank. New piston, rings and a hone should do it good.

If the base gasket was blown out I am surprised you got it to run at all if it leaned it out that much. If it did then it would be best to to do a fresh top end, if its not too messed up or scored, but if its already maxed out in piston size I would think you would have a better option to get a new cylinder and start over, unless you want to keep going up and put a bigger bore.

Back