adding extra steel to clutch question

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xj4m3

Reaction score
i was in a hurry to ride and all i had was vavloline to change oil with so i went with it knowing id be changing it out again first chance i got, well now the ol clutch started slipping again (imagine that). i put an extra steel plate in about a year ago after i noticed it slipping a little so im wondering if i can get away with 2 extra plates or if i need to bite the bullet and put another clutch in it. btw apparently 20 minutes is too long on non yamalube.

Time for a new clutch, I'd suggest a Barnett (I've had really good luck with them). Never use any oil besides a "motorcycle" oil, anything else will hurt the clutch.

Time for a new clutch, I'd suggest a Barnett (I've had really good luck with them). Never use any oil besides a "motorcycle" oil, anything else will hurt the clutch.

There was a massive argument about this subject a while ago. Essentially, what was said was that almost any non-synthetic oil would work fine as long as it doesn't have any friction modifiers, but synthetic oils should be wet clutch compatible.

i knew it would not be good on it but i was going to ride right now no matter what. i may order another clutch but this was a barnett and im not real impressed with it.

Switching oils could have had an effect. Although i had the same problem a while back when i switched to valvoline about a month later my stock plates were slipping. Since then ive been pretty loyal to amsoil. Except on my rebuild i ran regular old pennzoil for 2 tank fulls.

thats what i did, after i rebuilt top and bottom end both i threw some valvoline in there knowing it would be changed in less than an hour of riding anyway. I went ahead and threw an extra steel in there so we'll see how that works. While i was at it i pulled the starter bc something is drawing to much current while trying to start and it will not start w/o a 200amp charge. I found the starter is worn beyond belief so hopefully with the new starter i ordered i can get it back running/starting

Back