Accelerator Pump question!!!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beamesy7

Reaction score
Ok so ive had a problem with my quad idling very high after installing some new jets, after taking the carb back off and apart a few times i finally figured out my accelerator pump rod is sticking down, could this cause my high idle????

well it's very easy to find out while its running have the side black plastic cover off and grab the eccel pump rod with a needle nose plyers and pull it up and see if the idle goes down

Right, makes sense, ive tried everything so far. New boot, orings, jets, complete carb rebuild. And now bam, wont idle properly

The accel pump is just that a pump. It's not a circut which will allow fuel to flow through it. So if it is stuck in the down position it will do nothing to idle.

High idle or hanging idle is caused by lean a/f mixture. turn the idle mixture screw out.

Correct the accel pump has nothing to do with the idle.
Its only purpose is to send a small squirt of extra fuel to the carb when you punch the throttle hard and fast.

Well the accel pump is fixed and didnt change a thing still idles wayyy too high, tired the mixture screw and the idle screw. Sprayed starting fluid around the boot and nothing, thw inside of the carb is clean and new.

Well the accel pump is fixed and didnt change a thing still idles wayyy too high, tired the mixture screw and the idle screw. Sprayed starting fluid around the boot and nothing, thw inside of the carb is clean and new.

Get a different carb edelbrock,fcr, or a vm problem solved. Stock carbs suck ass nothing but problems.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9310 using Tapatalk

Ive never had this much of a problem with any of my other warrior carbs, i gree thay are a pain in the ass jeff!!! Id love to find a good deal on an fcr! What do they come on? Maybe i can find one locally.

Just a thought, but when I first got my warrior and hadn't modified it at all, sometimes it would idle high and I couldn't figure it out for a while. Turned out that the guides inside the carb that the slide rode up and down on were wore and one side had a really rough area on it. I took it all apart and lightly sanded the guides and it fixed the problem. Not that that is what is wrong with yours, but you may look into it as it is a very cheap fix compared to buying a new carb.

Ive never had this much of a problem with any of my other warrior carbs, i gree thay are a pain in the ass jeff!!! Id love to find a good deal on an fcr! What do they come on? Maybe i can find one locally.

YFZ 450 run the 39mm FCR I'm running one from a 07

First I'd try what Frit said. Fcr carbs come off the older YZF450s I believe. I know a few guys have them and will correct me if I'm wrong lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9310 using Tapatalk

No worries yamaharider i was wondering the benefits also. I believe they give better throttle response. I have the 379 stroker with a .020 over piston. I will check the guides when i grt out of work later, i have a nother carb that i can swap everything over to and try, ill get back to you guys after work and let you know the verdict or what else i find wrong lol

Check the throttle cable and make sure it's screwed in all the way and not pinched.

I run a 41mm FCR on my Z400 and it's a great carb. A bit of an overkill to put an FCR on a warrior 350 if you ask me.

been running a 39mm fcr for a year now works perfect! with the right mods it's not overkill at all

Back