A testament to the strength and reliability of the Warrior...

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barncat

Reaction score
We just returned from Little Sahara last night, and I must say I had a blast.

We were down there for 4 days, and I'd say I rode at least 3/4 of my waking hours, of each day I was there.
With that said...
My buddy who owns the 396 Stroker, Could not catch a break!!!!:argh:
From the time we got there, til the time we left, he had nothing but issues, like:
- Pissing fuel from the carb
- broken intake boot(2x)
- busted peg/brake bolt
- jam nut cam off the tappit
- carb kept "starving of fuel"

So, this is the story:
We were raping it out by the big dunes, with my buddy and his Long Travel Buggy. Bryan(396 guy) was riding 100' wheelies, when he heard a noise and his Warrior died. He got towed back to camp, where he looked at it the next day.
What he found was the noise he heard happened to be the intake jam nut had come off the tappit. He wanted to ride so he said "fuckit, I'll rigg this bitch, and ride her till she dies". He set the valve lash the best he could, then JB Welded the tappit. The bike RAN with the tappit in his hand.

So, with the valve lash set, the JB weld on, the twice cracked intake boot rigged, the carb running out of fuel, and the tappit nut SOMEWHERE in the ENGINE, he rode that PIG for at least 6-8 more hours. AND it ran like a bat outta hell!:tup:

Bike still fires and starts(rather easy) And will run like a top. Very impressed with these old bikes.
He is tearing it down this week to find the nut and inspect for damage.

A few things learned this weekend:
- I'll be either modding my Warrior for more speed, or buying a "dune only" bike if I keep going down. I'm tired of getting my ass kicked in a drag race at the dunes
- Even on the old "Wardog" I was out jumping a Raptor 700r and 2 ltz 400's, most of the time.
- The suspension on the Warrior is MUCH more forgiving than that of the LTZ 400 I rode
- In 3rd gear, I raped Buttercup and the other big dunes.
- Warriors are still the **** in the trails, even if they are sand.

Only thing AT ALL that happened to my Warrior is, One exhaust stud broke off at the head.

All in all it was a great time. We represented the Warriors and did the old Dogs good. There were exactly TWO other Warriors there, and about 7,000,000,000 YFZ 450's. It was nice to be Different.

Last edited:
Cool over all sounds like you had a blast, of all my places around home Little Sahara is the funnest and best place to go. Sherwood forest is my fav, the trails are fun till you hit all those damn whoppy doos i hate those things. Buttercup is pretty fun I love the biggest dune hill though, trying to get that sucker conquered is tough is you start from a dead stop at the bottom. I am about ready to have another ride trip planned up there but its getting too hot now.

Durability is why I love them. I have a buddy thats owned all the popular quads and he still says that you cant beat how reliable they are.

I have to disagree with that my bike wont stay together. I put a motion pro clutch cable on it last fall and it snapped on me over the weekend..plus the intake boot wont stay in one peace on my third one this year.

I have to disagree with that my bike wont stay together. I put a motion pro clutch cable on it last fall and it snapped on me over the weekend..plus the intake boot wont stay in one peace on my third one this year.

Theres got to be something causing it, you just need to figure out what. Never heard of anyone having those problems.

i believe the motion pro cable problems, i broke both my clutch and twist throttle cables and they were less than 1.5 years old. the stock ones have lasted me longer than that. i now have a tusk cheapo and its lasted longer than the motion pro so far. i think im going to start buying them directly from yamaha depending on how long the tusk last me. in my opinion, motion pro cables are becoming junk.

as for the intake boot there has got to be something wrong. not trying to be a smart alack, but make sure its going on the right way, i learned that the hard way when a new one ripped on me with hardly any ride time one it.

The chepest mtion pro cables ARE junk you have to buy a nicer one I've got throttle and clutch cable from motion pro for 4+ years

Well, so far, the only thing I see wrong with mine is:
- My exhaust flange stud sheared off at the head. I have never had much luck drilling these out, so we'll see.

Yea they are tough, I have rolled mine twice, just bending the bars and messing up the lights, and had a partial head on collision with a blaster, all 3 times it was a restart and take off except for the head on I busted a tie rod end but rode it back to my truck and loaded it up on my own.

Well, so far, the only thing I see wrong with mine is:
- My exhaust flange stud sheared off at the head. I have never had much luck drilling these out, so we'll see.
you can have a nut welded on the end of the stud, then carefully use the nut to unscrew the stud

well the cable i bought last fall was the 20 terminator clutch cable....and the boot wasnt a tear like what happened on the old oem one that it had on it. it blew the seal around the metal bushing type thing from the rubber, on the carb side of the boot.

you can have a nut welded on the end of the stud, then carefully use the nut to unscrew the stud

Not going to happen on this one. The stud is flush with the head. I'm going to try to tack a bolt to the stud first, and then go from there.

Not going to happen on this one. The stud is flush with the head. I'm going to try to tack a bolt to the stud first, and then go from there.

Don't laugh, but I actually used a dremel once and cut a slot in the top of the stud and used a flat screw driver to back on out on the oil pan of my old jeep.....

Yeah theres a billion YFZ's but I just <3 them idk why just always have. And for the most part everything I've ever heard about bored motors have been bad luck. I'd rather buy a bigger stock bike built for the bikes specs and have it last (hopefully) than have a bike blow up and have to throw a buncha money at it

Back