99 won't start!!!!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonS

Reaction score
Hey guys, got myself stumped here. The Warrior hasn't been started for 2 weeks. Got to it this morning and I can't get it to start to save my ass. It ran fine the last time I messed with it. Nothing has been tampered with as it's been under lock and key.

Checked spark, cleaned carb, has good fuel in it, I know it's got compression and I just put a new plug in it earlier. What the hell could it be? I have a riding trip on Sunday and I need this thing to be running or to at least get an idea what it could be.

the valves are fine. i set them when i put it back together. it was running perfect just here the other day. not been rode.

k but you should readjust them after 30 min run time

it doesn't even have 30 mins run time since the new rebuild lol.

just checked the spark again and it appears to be weak and it will not even start with a small hit of starter fluid. the stator could be taking a crap.

Is the battery fully charged?
try bump starting

the battery was weak when i got to it this morning but i have a jump start charger on it and it still won't do anything. spins over fine. i haven't bump started it though. i may try to in a few minutes.

If she starts by bump starting then more than likely the stature is going

Okay, so I gotta new symptom today. When I try to start it now it will backfire outta the pipe real loud. Guess I need to look into the timing now. I swear though it just doesn't make any sense.

Make sure the grounds are all good and connected. You sure timing didn't jump?

It could have. I haven't looked yet. Why would it jump timing sitting for 2 weeks when it ran friggin' fine the last time I had it started?

I've seen it happen many times on cars and trucks on cold starts. Just enough slack in the chain and it's caught at just the right spot to make em jump. This does have the tensioner, but, did you replace the chain? Stranger **** has happened.

And I would check the valve lash like bones said.

yeah i'm gonna check everything when i pull it apart. i did use the old chain too. tried to save myself some money lol. i'll report back here with what i find.

i'll order a new chain next week though. just been putting it off and getting by.

okay best i can tell is it did jump timing. i think it's 90* off to the left. i think that's right cause if you compare to a clock the cam mark is at 9 o'clock as opposed to 6:00 being 180* off. that's with the flywheel T mark being lined up in the window too.

it jumped bad imo. do you think anything could have made contact?

Back