97 warrior rebuild top end

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrick97war

Reaction score
so i am needing to rebuild my 97 warrior top end with kibblewhite valves and springs . and i am going to bore it .40 over with a wiseco piston and rings . so i am looking for any suggestions please i am a do it yourself guy i like to learn how to do thing and know i did it . so after i bore the engine and try to install the piston and rings am i going to just be able to put piston and rings right in with no shaving of the rings why i ask i was watching horse power tv today although they where working on a car engine they checked the gap of the rings and shaved them down ?

You need to check the ring end gap, but rarely do you have to do any file fitting. I imagine on that show they bought file fit rings so they could set the gap where they wanted it. The manual should give a gap clearance. That number will be the minumum it should be. If it is more than that within reason it will be ok.

Also, most piston mfgs supply their reccomended ring end gap specs and procedure. I know wiseco does.

Back