'96 Warrior Valve Help...

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54warrior

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I have a 1996 Yamaha Warrior that I purchased new back when I was a kid. It has a ton of hours on it and has had the top end rebuilt one time (.040" over, piston, rings, etc.). That rebuild was about 10 years ago, and it has not been ridden much since then, maybe 50 hours. It's really just been sitting around the past couple years, getting ridden once a year or so. It smokes like a chimney and I believe the valve seats are worn. It is worst during startup/cold engine. Once it is warmed up, it is fine.

Would you all agree with my diagnosis?

Also, I'm quite confident with tearing it apart and fixing it, except for those valve seats, is that something that just falls in place like every other part? Or is it something that should be installed by a shop? How do I get the old ones out, etc.?

Thanks!!!

Also, where should I get the parts from? Is that Four Stroke Tech place still around? There was a place out west too that made parts for these engines too.

If the smoke is blue like it's burning oil, then it is your valve seals.(Only if it goes away once warm) If it smokes the whole times it's rings. In your case where it sits a while, if the smoke is white then it is just moisture that was in the exhaust pipe burning off. As for removing the valves, it's actually pretty easy. You will need either a valve spring compressor or use a big C clamp. Compress the spring and take off the circlip.

Thanks for the response. Since it will be apart, I was going to go ahead and replace everything except for the rocker arms and the shafts they ride on. Is that a good idea? Should I just buy the parts from a Yamaha dealer? Are there better, replacement parts out there somewhere? Would it make sense to install HD Valve Springs?

HD Valve springs would be a great investment. If you are doing all that, you are going to want to upgrade your cam. Some other guys on here are better versed than I am with the aftermarket cams and such. Also, NEVER buy anything from a dealer unless you absolutely cannot get it anywhere else. Pay an arm and a leg most times.

Back