96 Warrior Top End

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I just picked up a 96 warrior for pretty cheap last weekend. I was told it needed a new set of rings and to remove and replace an exhaust bolt that snapped in the cylinder head. The guy told me it's got low compression because the bad rings and the exhaust. Are there any other possibilities for the low compression?

Loads of possibilities: rings is usually likely but you could have bad valve seating, warped head, busted gasket...this all depends on what lead to it getting bad compression ie did it happen fast or over a period of time
If you haven't tested compression for yourself it might be worth getting a compression tester-should be cheap.
Taking the head off and checking stuff out isn't hard with the correct tools

If the machine was ridden for a period of time after that bolt snapped, could that have anything to do with low compression? Or caused something to break/warp anything?

yes it very well could have played a big part in destroying the cylinder and rings
if the exhaust header bolt was broke the flange doesn't seal against the head there for causing moisture and/or dust,dirt to enter through the exaust valve port and destroy the cylinder wall and rings

yep i broke one off of an old honda 300 i had and it started missing because it burned a valve, traded it before it quit running though. start with a compression tester, not sure if you could do a leak down test or not on it...

So last weekend began the rebuilding of the warrior. My buddy and I opened it up and saw no damage or warping. The rings could have used replacing, so I picked up a piston and rings set from eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180987931658?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Everything was going pretty well for the most part. Almost lost the timing chain in the bottom end while removing the cylinder head. The new piston and rings have been installed. I am sending the head to a shop to have the broken exhaust head bolt machined out. I'm hoping by mid-week I can get that back and start putting everything back together, and I can be riding by the weekend.

sweet thats a great piston kit im running it in my warrior. if you lose the timing chain its not too bad all you have to do is pull the stator cover off haha. make sure you set your timing perfect and rotate the crank several times to make sure its still right and it should be smooth sailing

We got lucky enough that when the chain did fall, it was still caught on the bottom gear. It was quite the task to pull it up, a magnet stick wasn't quite strong enough. Ended up getting some wire and hooking it. Wired it right to the frame when we got it out.

Back