87 warrior

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoot1073

Reaction score
New to site, but have been reading and looking over all the excellent information shared here.:tup: What I have is (I believe all original) 1987 warrior I'm rebuilding.

Few Questions:
Does this look like the original piston?
1004151743.jpg

Why would there be three head gaskets?
1004151918.jpg

Before a little elbow grease.
1004151744a.jpg

After.
1004151917.jpg
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

That looks like the original piston to me, but I'm not 100% sure on that. That head gasket you have is stock, it's a three layer metal design.

that is definitely a Yamaha piston with that 1UY marking, tho it maybe over sized since it says "50" .50mm translates to .020in overbore.

as far as the head gasket, that is all supposed to be stuck together as 1

That looks like the original piston to me, but I'm not 100% sure on that. That head gasket you have is stock, it's a three layer metal design.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, I'm pretty sure its all stock. I bought it off my sister and she owned it for 20 plus years and it sat in her garage most of it's life.

that is definitely a Yamaha piston with that 1UY marking, tho it maybe over sized since it says "50" .50mm translates to .020in overbore.

as far as the head gasket, that is all supposed to be stuck together as 1

Thanks. I'm taking the head and cylinder to work today to mic everything so I'm 100% sure on size before ordering new piston.

i would put a after market piston in it like a Wiseco or a JE but i have a stock bore Wiseco 10:25-1 and i love it

edit: i would keep it the same size it is now if you can

You need to definitely at least hone it. Ideally, you take it to a machine shop that will check to see if the cylinder is still within spec for the piston you want (or you can do it if you know what you are doing, it sounds like you do). If it is in spec, hone it and you're good. If it's not in spec or is out of round, you will need to bore it until it is round and within spec for a larger piston, and then hone it. Only go as big as you need to to make it round and smooth, boring it out larger will not gain you any more performance. If you are chasing performance, this is a good time for a high compression piston, like JE or Wiseco. If you are just looking to rebuild it stock, then an OEM style piston would be fine.

Back