87 warrior wiring issues

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys new to the forum I just picked up an 87 warrior 350 that would start, I thought to myself well hell that should be easy right? well i guess not, the guy before has changed out everything pretty much except for the CDI box, Stator, and Pickup coils. He had a new pickup coil with it well I went to install it and mine has two pickups mounted on top of each other and the one he bought is a single one. I have been racking my brain for the past few days trying to ohm test everything. My question is is what is the purpose of the TWO pickups? I've tried researching and nothing brings up and info for it having two. Also is there a way to Ohm test the brown and red wires coming from the stator that connect into the CDI I haven't found anything online about those wires. I really don't want to throw money at a CDI just to find out that wasn't the issue. can anyone point me in the right direction or give me some insight? thanks

I tried looking up in my clymer what the ohm specs are for an 87 but says theres no brown & red wires coming out of thr stator. There's black to red to test source coil; and should ohm out between 270- 330....welcome to the forum btw

Thanks man i looked at the readings and wires my white wires are at .8 - 1.0 and my two pick ups are at 184 and 190ish, and my brown and red wires are at 294, where the wires coming out of the stator cover are they look like they are chaffing and rubbing. going to order a new stator today or tomorrow and see if it works. Really hope its not the CDI. need to still test continuity to make sure but the chaffed wires kinda make me believe its the stator. previous owner said he got it from a friend of a friend and they used it a few winters ago and then out of no where stopped sparking and this guy has replaced everything on the electrical side other than CDI and stator. I didnt spend anything on this quad he just got frustrated and wanted it gone but i don't want it to be a money pit. thanks for the info

Update...

So working on it this weekend and found a guy on here having a problem that would get spark when the key was off but no spark when key on, installed new stator and got no spark turned key off and had spark again. figured out it was a criss crossed wire on the ignition key switch connector. got it to fire enough for it to warm up.... ran out of gas since I had been working on it I didn't leave much fuel in it so it died out I fueled it up and when to start and nope back to the beginning no spark again.... I have no clue what it could be now lol had it running for a second and then it had to go a crap on my parade again. :argh::lame:

Cut the black wires on the ignition switch and twist then together on the plug side. You should have spark again.

I'd try cutting them and connecting them I like I said because the aftermarket ones are set up wrong. They are set up for newer warriors.

ok ill try that. it was the black and black/white strip on the key side connector right? and think that after getting spark and running that those two wires just gave and made it stop or would you believe the new stator went already

Update...

So ive dug further into the quad and found that when the motor fired that one time the two screws that held the pickups in place wiggled out and caused the pickups to get mangled up and shredded, cleaned the motor out and called for a replacement stator it finally arrived hopefully this time it doesn't get hungry and want to eat this one too. :argh:>::beat:

Now running...

So I got the warrior running cleaned it out and replaced and the stator and pickups, and adjusted the carb she runs great now. but now i have another issue when i bought this it shifted fine then we i got it home even before messing with the stator issue came out a few days after having it and the shifter is very tight, you have to use your hand and move it up and down but the day i checked it out and bought it the shifter worked fine, can't figure out what it could be and now that its running it makes no difference running or not still super stiff to move.... any ideas?

If its the stock linkage; that's probably the problem. Get any year YZ shifter and replace. Glad to hear you got her running good.

Back