87 warrior shifter/oil cooler

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baja226sport

Reaction score
I was looking at an 87 warrior stock shifter today and I think you may be able to use one with the big bear oil cooler. The 87 and 88 maybe even 89 had pull starters so the shifter had to stick out far enough to not hit when you shift. Does anyone know anything about this? I could be wrong, it's just a thought.

Yeah, the stock shifter works, you just have to bend it out a little bit or grind a notch out of it, the only thing that I had clearance problems with was one of the screws that hold the adapter cap on. I used the stock shifter for about 4 months with the oil cooler, but i was getting REAL fed up and was trying to get a direct shifter for a while. I finally got my hands on one when DeathShadow parted out and the difference is huge, i'd never go back to the stock shifter.

I was looking at an 87 warrior stock shifter today and I think you may be able to use one with the big bear oil cooler. The 87 and 88 maybe even 89 had pull starters so the shifter had to stick out far enough to not hit when you shift. Does anyone know anything about this? I could be wrong, it's just a thought.
I am not shure about the shifter sticking out more to clear the pull start,but that makes a lot of sense.I think the pull start adds
about a inch?

I might give it a shot, might just sell the big bear set up though. I've had it for like a year and haven't installed it. Who knows....

I,ve got an 87 with the big bear setup...............ya have to bend it slightly..........Ya wont even notice the differance............

The direct shifter and big bear setup did wonders for me. The shifter never causes me to miss any gears and I hit neutral without a prob. The design I made in the tutorials brings the lever much closer to the peg and also enables the lever to not raise that much even in 6th gear from the shortened length. No more raising your foot off the pegs to downshift while wearing boots, even when the lever is raised initially to accomodate boots. The big bear/permacool setup really does lower your motor temp by 40 degrees, it's very difficult to overheat. I'm running 10.75 to 1 compression and several other mods and the motor runs cooler than stock, you really should install that kit.

Back