87 Warrior Shift Problems

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giles45shop

Reaction score
Well I finally got my project running, and started down the driveway. Went to shift into second and it's like it went into neutral. Tried 1st and nothing happens. Messed w/ the shifter and still nothing. I shifted to neutral (light was on) and shifted to reverse. When I let out the clutch, reverse worked fine.

In forward, when you shift into 1st and let out the clutch w/ engine running, I can hear things turning in the tranny, but the ATV doesn't move.

Question is: If it's a bad clutch, why would reverse work and not forward?

This is old warrior that a friend of mine gave me. It ran when put away years ago, but hasn't been used in about 5 years.

Any ideas appreciated before I start tearing into the clutch?

Thanks,

John

OK I know pretty much what you mean. First thing you should check is your clutch cable. Those 2 adjusters down by the engine,those are the ones you should adjust.

check if your reverse lever is in the forward position.. i can't remember how many times i'vedone that...

Thanks for the quick reply! What should I check for? I have a manual, and I'll see what adjustments there are. The clutch adjustment seems okay in reverse, middle of the range of movement on handle, not jerky, not slipping.

Thanks,

John

I agree with Speedy on this one, they reverse lever on the right side of the engine seems to have a "spot" where it locks in. Sort of lift up and push all they way forward and then push down to lock it in. I give it a quick tug backwards to make sure it doesn't pop out. Otherwise when you go forward, it will start to go and then pop out of gear and you'll hear the tranny spinning and not go anywhere.

-pdxguy

no pull the left side cover ovv and check the small screw on the shift cam assembly , mine came loose and it chewed up the keyway in the shift cam

I agree with Speedy on this one, they reverse lever on the right side of the engine seems to have a "spot" where it locks in. Sort of lift up and push all they way forward and then push down to lock it in. I give it a quick tug backwards to make sure it doesn't pop out. Otherwise when you go forward, it will start to go and then pop out of gear and you'll hear the tranny spinning and not go anywhere.

-pdxguy

when we first got our quad it didnt want to go into drive after we put it in reverse

Thanks for everyone's help! I was out of town for several days, but I played around w/ the F/R shifter and found out that it wasn't pushed far enough forward. When I did that, everything was fine.

After working on it for 3 months (starter, coil, plug wire, stator pick-up coil, new front master cylinder, new handle bars, 01 Raptor rear shock, front wheel bearings), I'm finally able to ride it!

Next on the list is rear axle bearings, some type of nerf/heel protectors and front tires. I'd like to replace the rears, as they are huge (12X23X9?) Super Swampers, but they have lots of tread left and work okay for fooling around.

My 13 YO daughter is also learning how to ride on it. Not really your ideal beginner's ATV, but she's making great progress w/ shifting and basic stuff.

thanks again,

John

Back