87 warrior no spark

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrior87fun

Reaction score
I just picked up a 87 yamaha warrior not running and was told it needed a new stator but after looking it over and checking a few things in not sure
i checked the pickup coil resistance and ir reads 188 ohms also checked the source coil resistance and it reads 308 ohms but has no spark.
my neutral light works and the reverse light works but it doesnt seem to get any power to the coil.
Also found a jumper wire at the starting system cut off relay so i unhooked it and it wont turn over with the start button when i hook it back up it turns over fine with the switch so im thinking maybe a bad switch or a short
so if any one has any suggestions let me know

I have a 2002 350 warrior with same problem power everywhere but no spark? I also have a 1999 350 warrior that I wanna swap parts with.. Have you had any success lately and is there anything I should try first?

2002 350 warrior
1999 350 warrior original owner of both

Check your spark plug. Then test your spark Plug Caps resistance using a multimeter from sears or someplace (only 15$ at sears). Should be at 10ohms. If that's OK check the ignition coil. This is two part test checking resistance in the Primary coil first (between .36-.48ohms) and then the secondary coil(5.44-7.36ohms). If either is out of range replace the ignition coil. If that's OK check the resistance of your stator (270-330 ohms) and then the pickup coil (171-209ohms). If either is out of range; replace each respectively. If all is OK up to this point you need a new C.D.I. Box. Because there is no way to just test your cdi box; you have to do all the above steps first before determining whether or not the box is bad on your machine. If you need help in testing the resistance let me know. It doesn't take long at all and is very easy.

Having power and having spark are two different things on these quads. Battery or not, you'll still have spark. Two totally different circuits.

Back