87 main switch/harness issues

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primerk5

Reaction score
The switch was broken on my 87. I got on eBay and got one of the elcheapys. I got it and couldn't get it to run. So it was assumed bad.

I complained and got another from the same vendor. I plugged in the switch and still couldn't get it to run. I played with the switch while cranking it and low and behold it fired and ran, in the off position. So it runs in the off position and cranks only in the on position. Makes it hard to start.

Is the 87/first gen wiring different then the later models? For example, the wiring diagrams show a black, brown, red and black/white wires on the switch and harness at the main switch connection. My bike harness and original switch is black, red, brown, and black/red.

I know there is a different plug for some of the switches.but the switch I ordered has the right plug.

I know the black is the ground. If I ground the black/red to the black the ignition will work.

Per the diagram with the black/white wire the switch show the black and black/white are only connected in the off position. Which won't work for me. Unless there is something wrong with my harness. But I only see one modification to the harness to remove the clutch switch.

Any help would be great on this.

I know if I just splice the black and black/white on the switch with a splice connector it will run. I would like it to be right though and not rigged.

HA! same thing happened to me. those two black/black with red stripe wires coming off the key cylinder need to be spliced together for it to get spark. its reverse of the newer 4 wire key cylinders, so when they just switch the plug type over it wont work on the first gen. shutting off the key wont shut off the quad, but it will kill the power preventing anyone from starting it. or you can just get a OEM 1987 key cylinder and be done with it. its nothing wrong with your quad. its the key cylinder switch 100%

Last edited:
Thanks for confirming. I was going nuts yesterday trying to find a problem. A oem switch is 80 bucks. It bugs me though that ebay has it showing that the switch will work for a first gen and it doesn't without modification. Oh well.

Thanks again

Back