6mm banjo fitting

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotoArts

Reaction score
Looking to install an oil pressure gauge.
I removed the bolt in the top right rear of the cylinder head, and found it to be a stock banjo bolt! That eliminates one concern. Now I just need a fitting and another crush washer to install the line.

Any ideas for locating a fitting? Bolt is 6mm OD. What Yamaha model used this port?

thats how i was going to hook up my gauge, but couldnt find anything to make that work, but didnt try that hard either. the only other place i am think of tapping into is the oil filter housing, seen someone do it on another quad on a different forum and it got my gears turning. i need to work into somewhere in the engine now since i no longer have an oil cooler to tap into.

Let us know if you find something, if you do i can hook mine right up, its still in the fender with everything else to hook it up.

what if you were to tap into the clutch cover like the doo for the clutch cover oil cooler, but not fill the hole, just tap into that part where the oil runs and run a fitting off of it to the line to gauge?

Sure, you could tee it off a cooler line like 91 did, if you have a cooler already. Filter cap would be a clean place as well, but kinda thin material to thread into..

That head bolt looks too easy. I'm assuming there is another model YFM that used the port for an oil temp sensor/pressure light?

I'm going to check out the local NAPA or hardware store for the fitting. Would be nice to have a compression end on it instead of just a barb.

most oil pressure gauges use npt 1/8" male end so if we could find a 6mm bolt that is an adapter to 1/8" female on the other side, we will be golden.

i have a spare oil filter cover and might experiment with tapping into that. i dont think the material there is as thin as the clutch cover, i know when you put on an oil cooler that clutch cover is thin. hopefully we will figure something out

could you drill and tap the head of the banjo bolt the a little plumers tape and a fitting for the gauge?

The bolt is in the head already, stock.
Just need the fitting and possibly an adapter to connect the plastic capillary line to the fitting.
Problem I'm finding is everything's too big of an ID. The bolt is pretty small.

yea i couldnt find anything smaller than 8mm. i used Autometer mechanical gauges in mine. the temperature gauge has been in for 6 years and never had any problems, sometimes i had gotten water sitting inside the gauge when i didnt have it sealed right but it still works. I contacted autometer about using an electrical one and they said it would not last if it was being exposed to moisture like that

could you use steel brake line and a fitting like a automotive brake line and fiting from the cyl head bolt to the guage? just an idea i dont know if you can get a fitting that size though

yea the main problem is finding a bolt that small. i think autometer sells copper tubing for oil pressure gauges and i might buy that once i get it hooked back up, so its a little more durable, just doesnt take to well to flexing a lot.

yea tru. they do sell the copper tubing, that would be better than the brake like, easer to bend and fit into place. migh have to use a different oil galery if you ccant find a fitting for the head bolt if you have a oil cooler you could tap into one of the lines.

I fooled with it this weekend. Finally got it fired after the top end job, ran for 10 minutes, and now it won't start. Wouldn't run off choke though. Dang thing started, ran and and idled perfectly before I "fixed" it. Arrrgh.
Has spark and fuel...and a shitload of compression.
I broke the new starter rope after 6 pulls :).
The decomp lever won't catch on the exhaust valve.
Could be me not knowing how to use it too.

When it did start, I loosened the banjo bolt just to make sure the top end was getting dinosaur sauce... and ended up with a very well lubed garage floor. Noooo problem with volume from the pump on this puppy.

Pics on the way.

2011-03-22011.jpg

2011-03-22014.jpg

Not pics of the fitting, but I'm getting there. Carb pilot (and I think the accel pump jet) had a booger in it, causing the no start. Clicker pen spring is installed. Yes, I know, there are some bolts missing in the pics, but they're in there now after wire wheeling and flat nickel Krylon. I just wanted to make sure the thing ran... Blue and chrome oval inserts on the clutch cover is vinyl decal, along with the brushed aluminum cam cover decal and pull start "bling" stripe. Might change the clutch cover panels to chrome since I painted the Yamaha inset letters blue. If it looks too ghetto i can remove 'em all. Cases and head are semi gloss Krylon, jug is some shade of gloss charcoal that almost matches the clutch cover. Polished rocker covers, tensioner, filter cover and awesome PVC conduit pull start handle add a little more than 8hp and 4 mph, without nitrous.

Time to button the rest up and take it for a rip.

Oh yeah, anybody notice their head pipe glowing? Everything in the engine is 100% stock. Pipe started glowing after about 30 seconds of run time on choke, and did not go away even after choke shutoff and idle adjustment. Is it because the pipe is so thin? Pipe was black ceramic coated.

Best part is it doesn't leak or smoke anymore...

Last edited:
WOW, look great. I also love the cam cover sticker. Ur jug and head look great! Where is this bolt that your looking to tap into located?

Back