6 speed = top speed too slow

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Reaction score
Hello,

Well, i have a "problem". The top speed of my Yamaha YFM 350 04' is too low.... (85km/h)

I want to change my pinion. Mine has 13 teeth. Tha'ts by default? I think would be 14. By default are 14¿?

Put 14 teeth or 15??

What can i do?

I need a new chain or not?

Please help with the installation, for a dummies.

i just put on a 15t front sprocket....it's dummy proof...just loosen up fear axle on the swinger move all the way forward and start taking the front sprocket off!!

Alex, do you have any performance parts on your bike? Aftermarket exhaust, filter kit, jetkit, cam?
The 14T works fine but if you really don't care about the bottom end and you only want top end then you can go to a 15T front and maybe loosing 2 teeth in the back.
I wouldn't place a 15T before I would have some aftermarket performance parts first so you don't loose to much on the bottom.
Just my opinion.
If your chain still looks good and don't have to much stretch then you don't have too. but the best thing is buy evertything at ones sprockets and chain then you know for sure your ready for a while.

I could explain you how to do everything but just grab your manuel or service book and they will explain you the best most of the time with pictures too.

Good Luck

laraptor350 isn't too much 15t? Now i have only 13 :-[

LOL i think my 6 gear is like your 4 gear hehehe

yuana i have only a CRD exhaust.

I look the owner's manual. First i think i must lossen the drive chain, change the 13t and then tighten the drive chain

That's correct?

Thank you!

15 tooth is too much for a stock or almost stock rappy, you would'nt be able to reach the maximum speed that the 15 tooth is capable of, heck dave has a 446 big bore and he's only running a 15 tooth if i remember right.

I hve the same sort of problem. The top end 5th gear is almost the exact same as 6th so I think I will upgrade to a 14t sometime soon

i dont have a problem with the 15t...although i do think if i order a 14t it might ba little bit better for my quad.....

That is correct loosen the chain, change the sprocket and then tighten the chain to the right specs. It's that simple.

If you get the chance, try to invest in a Pro design filterkit and a jetkit makes a good differance.

Take a 14T so you can still do wheelies and still have a good top and low end.

Good Luck with your project

laraptor another reason urs is ok is because of the 18in tres tyey make a pretty noticable difference

Well i have 20x11x9 tyres so i'll put on the 14t.

My friend has a banshee xD but i like my Raptor, and i don't wanna change yet!

Raptor 700 SE next year ;D

yupp....thats exactly y i went with the 15t....i actually thought something through....hmm i even amazed myself on that decision!!

Posted by Chrisx182 on Yesterday at 5:19pm
I hve the same sort of problem. The top end 5th gear is almost the exact same as 6th so I think I will upgrade to a 14t sometime soon

Just to let you guys know that think there is a 6th gear, there isnt 1-5 + Reverse = 6 Speed

thats what i thought it meant...lol...just never payed any attention to it lol...glad you cleared that up for everyone!!

[quote:l68ezswe]Posted by Chrisx182 on Yesterday at 5:19pm

Just to let you guys know that think there is a 6th gear, there isnt 1-5 + Reverse = 6 Speed

lol we have a winner at least someone knows whats going on [/quote:l68ezswe]

What the fugg are you guys talking about.... its one gear down 5 up..

It has 6 forward speeds and a reverse gear... so actually its is a seven speed but the reverse gear is not counted..

This is like saying a 5 speed car is actually only a 4 speed because it has a reverse......

Maybe i missed something but i was simply stunned when 2 people agreed that the warrior only has 5 forward gears. Are you guys on crack?

i was so confused when i read that...DSW i bet all these guys are shifting up from neutral and taking off in 2nd all the time lmao

Yea there are deffinatley 6 foward speeds on a warrior. I don't know why you would think theres only 5 unless you didn't know the shift patern from nuetral is 1 down 5 up.

Actullay if you look at the manual for a 350 raptor it is 1-N-2-3-4-5

Back