440ex or 660r

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bickel76

Reaction score
well, i have spent about 4500 on my warrior and i havent even touched the motor yet. trying to decide if i should retire the warrior and upgrade. i was wondering if anyone had any opinions on getting a 440ex or a 660. the 440 is mint and sounds like it would be a good deal. i'm just not sure about reliability with the 440s. i know the 400s are reliable as hell. the main thing that appeals to me about the 660 is the power with just a couple of bolt-ons and reverse. anyone have an opinion on the matter?

If you start with either of those other quads you'll be putting money into those too. The 440 isn't really THAT quick, and is still old technology, and the 660 is plagued with so many little problems and inconveniences that i'd never want to own one. The honda isn't any more reliable than a warrior, even stock, and a built one can be a grenade on wheels depending on how it was built. The 660 is pretty hit and miss with reliability too.

If you sell the warrior for anything, I'd get a raptor 700, or one of the 450s if reliability isn't such a big deal.

If my warrior wasn't already done up this much, i'd have already traded it in on a 700. I'm still thinking about selling all my aftermarket parts, putting it back to mostly stock, and then selling the warrior in a year or 2 to get a raptor 700, or whatever else may be out at that time. I just can't justify parting my warrior out right after I got it just how I want it.

no matter what i get, i know its gonna be a money pit. i keep on going back and forth on what to do. one day i want to go ahead and continue with the warrior and the next i want to get rid of it. from what i've been reading, it looks like the warrior stroker kit and other mods will put out about the same hp as the 440. i didnt realize that the 660s had reliability issues other than the 01 tranny problem. no idea what i'm gonna do. was just trying to get some opinions on the matter.

wouldnt get either.... as yama said, the 440s, depending on the way they are built, can grenade very often. both will rip but you will without a doubt happier with a 450 or raptor 700.

i would rather have a worked 416ex rather than a raptor or 440. obviously if reliability is a must than a stock bike or something closer to stock would be better.

it just depends on what you really want in the end.

i would just get a 450,my freinds have 450r's and they both have head em over a 2 years,if you do the matince they are VERY reliable

no matter what i get, i know its gonna be a money pit. i keep on going back and forth on what to do. one day i want to go ahead and continue with the warrior and the next i want to get rid of it. from what i've been reading, it looks like the warrior stroker kit and other mods will put out about the same hp as the 440. i didnt realize that the 660s had reliability issues other than the 01 tranny problem. no idea what i'm gonna do. was just trying to get some opinions on the matter.

The 660 was a groundbreaking quad when it came out, but it's not even close to the 700. The dual carbs are a major pain in the ass, both tuning, and troubleshooting them when something goes wrong. They're too narrow, and much too nose heavy, the starter clutches are really sketchy like most of the older yamahas, and the stock suspension just isn't that refined. All of those little pains in the ass were revised in the raptor 700. I rode a 700 only a little bit, but by the way that thing felt I think i'd be very happy with one of those in it's stock form for quite a while before I started wanting to mod it. I thought I would have been happy with my warrior for a while and never need anything else once I got it to this point, but after riding a 700 i got an itch that I can't scratch.

i have a question,

why do all the pro's use 450's??mathematicly a 700 SHOULD be faster,more cc's more power,and so on,so why dont thye??wouldnt it just make more sense?

or if you REALLY want the best of both worlds,wait till KAWI comes out wit there 450,i read it has EFI,reverse the two thing you want

i have a question,

why do all the pro's use 450's??mathematicly a 700 SHOULD be faster,more cc's more power,and so on,so why dont thye??wouldnt it just make more sense?

or if you REALLY want the best of both worlds,wait till KAWI comes out wit there 450,i read it has EFI,reverse the two thing you want

A 450 is built to make more power per cc's, that's why they require more maintainance than the big bores, because there's more stress on all the engine components. The main reason they race 450s is the size and weight. Yeah, you can make a raptor faster as a drag bike, but they're not built to handle like a 450. The raptor is built to be a trail bike like the warrior was, not a racer. That's why yamaha makes both the 450 and the raptor. A 450 isn't the thing to have if you only trail ride, the rocky trails, mud, water etc. are harder on them then they are on a bike like the raptor that's built to handle it. Plus the power delivery on a 450 just doesn't like going slow and put putting around the slower trails.

i have a question,

*Power vs. Weight
*Fast/High Revving Race Motor (builds RPMs significantly quicker)
*YFZ450 makes MORE HP then the Raptor 700...
*VERY light weight moving motor components (flywheel, V. Train, Piston, Crank).

"Powerband" is between 3,200 - 11,500 RPMs!
Idle: 1,900 RPMs

^That is why Mathematicly the YFZ is Quicker.

With my mods in a drag unless im sitting on the gas tank the front end will be in the air from 1-4th gear.

You can wheelie/pull the front end straight up with a wack of the throttle 1st - 3rd gear with out pulling up on the bars or using the clutch at all.

the 450s might be powerhouses, but they arent for my type of riding. i ride with my dad alot and with him on his ute, i have to do a lot of puttin around. plus, there are a lot of times when reverse might not be necessary, but it sure is handy. i'm sure i will just end up modding out the warriors motor and saving up for a 700. atleast that is today's plan.

the 450s might be powerhouses, but they arent for my type of riding. i ride with my dad alot and with him on his ute, i have to do a lot of puttin around. plus, there are a lot of times when reverse might not be necessary, but it sure is handy. i'm sure i will just end up modding out the warriors motor and saving up for a 700. atleast that is today's plan.

Id agree then; dont plan to put put on a 450 they dont do that well. They are made to be on the gas or off it. They sure as hell put a smile on your face when your on it though! As far as the reverse thing... A 450 is low enough to the ground and has so much power that you can Donut out of pretty much anything.

But id agree for rolling over logs and slow paced riding they arent the machine to have.

I am in 4th gear down most of my trails (even twisty ones); we fly through the woods. I slide around pretty much everything so the 450 is perfect for me. Thing sure suprises u when you come sliding around a corner in 3d gear and punch it and she stands right up on you - ******* love it lol.

For the ultimate stroker kit and have way more then enough power then you'll need, get the FST 446 kit, this is my plan for over the winter.

a 440ex isnt that fast, back when my z was mostly stock I beat them.
A 660 is just a cow, I really dont liek them, if your budget allows go for a 450. If not wait it out for one.

If you start with either of those other quads you'll be putting money into those too. The 440 isn't really THAT quick, and is still old technology, and the 660 is plagued with so many little problems and inconveniences that i'd never want to own one. The honda isn't any more reliable than a warrior, even stock, and a built one can be a grenade on wheels depending on how it was built. The 660 is pretty hit and miss with reliability too.

If you sell the warrior for anything, I'd get a raptor 700, or one of the 450s if reliability isn't such a big deal.

If my warrior wasn't already done up this much, i'd have already traded it in on a 700. I'm still thinking about selling all my aftermarket parts, putting it back to mostly stock, and then selling the warrior in a year or 2 to get a raptor 700, or whatever else may be out at that time. I just can't justify parting my warrior out right after I got it just how I want it.

my bro has a raptor and his hasnt had any problems besides the one way gear but that is a easy fix....i say go wtih the raptor, it is still a yamaha and it will blast away any 440 around and there is a plus......REVERSE

i wish that i could ride a warrior with the hotrods stroker kit, pnp, cam, lightened flywheel, dyna, etc. i love my warrior but i just dont know how much power can be squeezed out of it.

Well on bluetraxx.com they say the 446 kit puts up to around 40HP, don't know how true that is, but Mickey Dunlap told me just the bigbore kit I bought, gives the warrior 28HP at the rear wheel, thats with pipe, and stock carb, jetted. So going up 80cc has to give at LEAST 5 to 6 more HP. So 35 or more HP is more then enough for a Warrior chassis.

if i could get high 30's out of the warrior, i would probably be happy. i still want to have the reliability. i think blackyfm400 said that his rappy was putting out 1hp more than a bone stock yfz. he has everything that i was planning on doing if i keep the warrior.

Call FST, talk to Mickey Dunlap, He takes calls between 4 and 5 or 6 PM, they have a web site too. He'll tell ya anything you want to know about a warrior motor.

Back