400EX or 660R

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatDaddyJames

Reaction score
Will be my primary ride, warrior will be hers. Ive searched the net till Im blue in the face, fingers, and hands... 01 raptor I know to stay away from because of tranny issues, so 02-05. 400ex will be a 05 or newer, so I will have reverse.

Or possibly a LTZ400 or equivalent.

Looking for any and all suggestions. I understand this is a Yami site, and will prob lean towards the Yami... but I want to hear it all out.

Last edited:
This is what I have found out and from what have been told. The raptor 660 is fast and I mean scary fast, tons of power, they are top heavy and some say that don't do trails, are fun to ride. I thought about getting a 660 but after being told they are fast and top heavy, plus the front end is very light and wheelie easy, I decided against it. The 400ex is a good ride, my dad has a 07 uncle has a 05 and both like it, has plenty of power for any kind of riding, the dunes it does great, trail rideing is good, I have been looking for a good deal for a 400ex for me, once I get around to do some repairs on my warrior. But my opion is go for the 400ex, unless you like to insanely fast, like wheelies, and just want to run fast like a drag strip. Just what I have found and been told.

02-05 660s can be had here for 1900-2500
05-07 400exs 2000-2500.
raptor 700s are 3500-up.
food for thought.

looked at a 02 660 today...SUPER clean... almost too clean... all stock and completely unmlested. wht/blk/gray. Want 2100, offered 1900 and them to throw in a new matching helmit...sales person went bye bye for a few min, came back and said no. 2 hours later they called and said they would take it. Im almost 2 hrs from them.

Shes only letting me spend up to 2750. Thats the budget. Really want the 700, but shes not on the same page... Go figure.

This will be a trail/OHV/and on the farm ridden quad.

Last edited:
05-07 400exs 2000-2500.
raptor 700s are 3500-up.
food for thought.

Shes only letting me spend up to 2750. Thats the budget. Really want the 700, but shes not on the same page... Go figure.

I would go with a 400ex if it was me, here in my state you can find 400ex's from 2500 and up, depending on the person selling it, thinking its worth gold. Try to find one already modded, filter jetted and piped, then you won't have to do it.

05-07 400exs 2000-2500.
raptor 700s are 3500-up.
food for thought.

looked at a 02 660 today...SUPER clean... almost too clean... all stock and completely unmlested. wht/blk/gray. Want 2100, offered 1900 and them to throw in a new matching helmit...sales person went bye bye for a few min, came back and said no. 2 hours later they called and said they would take it. Im almost 2 hrs from them.

I'd tell them 1800 now for the drive time and spend the extra your allowed to lower the center of gravity

I found this online, a few said ofset rims, or a arms. and I found this ...
The way to best lower the center of gravity on a Raptor, is to acutally lower the body on it. I have had a raptor since the first day they were released, and the best way I have found to fix the handling is to flip the rear linkage. This lowered the seat height 3 1/2" and still kept the same wheel travel. E-mail me if you want to know how to do it.
-Mike V
[email protected]

Here is a link I found on how to do it.
http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24958

Last edited:
z400! my cousin got one a couple weeks ago... i'm in love! <3 they have reverse, liquid cooled = longer engine life. i love suzuki's rear bearing carrier style. gobs of power! i was floatin the front wheels about a foot off the ground in 4th gear and pegged. plus it's got suzuki's durability :) love em... lol so i say z400, dvx 400, or kfx 400... (all the same exact quad)

raptors are trail quads. thats what YAMAHA built them for. the front ends only feel light due to the torque the motor puts out. they feel tall due to frame geometry to fit that engine in the frame. the suspension can be adjusted and tweaked to lower it and still get the same ride. ive ridden a few 400s and i am not impressed one bit by them. they feel under powered. z400s are descent. they have alot of snap. my buddy has one. the front end comes up very easy. IMO, id go with the raptor just for the simple fact that its a big bore quad meant to have its ass handed to it in the trails and can take it

Well for him the best thing he can do is ride a 660 and ride a 400ex and see what he likes best, he might like the power, but might like what the honda has enough to get him around. I filter, pipe, and jet will help the 400ex.

if you can swing the 700 id definatelty say go for it cause its well worth the money. Insane power even stock and the throttle response is unbeleiveable. Ive had mine since october and i still cant beleive the power its got. It is a little top heavy but its wide so you get used to it real quick. and compaired to a warrior the suspension on them are way better especially if you get one that has the piggyback shocks.

660s are good but as said they have transmission issues. newer models are better but still not great. Then again theres alot of them out there so theres got to be something to them. i actually looked at 660s before i bought my 700.

as for the 400ex ive never really been impressed. while its a nice bike they seem to have weird issues as they get older like most honda atvs do. not to mention honda makes things different for the sake of making things different not nessasarly better.

the z400 or kfx400 to my knowledge have some tranny issues but not near as bad as the 660's. a buddy of mine had 3 trans rebuilds in a year before he sold it. still its a good bike and i wouldnt mind having one myself even though its not a yamaha

I am a new owner of a Raptor 660, I traded some older warrior and parts for it. The problem is the other owener or owners, wreaked it good. The good thing is after a carb cleaning and jet kit, K&N filter and tuning, the motor is outstanding even several years old. I had the frame welded in a couple of spots and added new bars, front end bushings, linkage bushings, carrirer bearing and seals, steering bearing. I think the bike is great, the front is little light and I weigh 210lbs, but I like it because that is how I ride and the reverse is plus also. IMO I would go with the Raptor.

if you can swing the 700 id definatelty say go for it cause its well worth the money. Insane power even stock and the throttle response is unbeleiveable. Ive had mine since october and i still cant beleive the power its got. It is a little top heavy but its wide so you get used to it real quick. and compaired to a warrior the suspension on them are way better especially if you get one that has the piggyback shocks.

660s are good but as said they have transmission issues. newer models are better but still not great. Then again theres alot of them out there so theres got to be something to them. i actually looked at 660s before i bought my 700.

as for the 400ex ive never really been impressed. while its a nice bike they seem to have weird issues as they get older like most honda atvs do. not to mention honda makes things different for the sake of making things different not nessasarly better.

the z400 or kfx400 to my knowledge have some tranny issues but not near as bad as the 660's. a buddy of mine had 3 trans rebuilds in a year before he sold it. still its a good bike and i wouldnt mind having one myself even though its not a yamaha

never heard of the tranny probs... 99% of the time tranny probs come from dumbasses that dont know with the clutch is for and they just jerk it through the gears w/o clutching.
My ol DR650 i had... i had to tear into the tranny twice and finally had to replace the forks, drum, fork guide rods, and second gear where the owner before me got in the habit if holding it wide ass open and jerking it into second

Back