2023 yzf front shocks

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donhoejr jr

Reaction score
I'm running the 2023 yzf 450 front shocks on my warrior. Yes there long , I added a widing kit and shock relocation kit to fit them. I didn't measure them before I bought them. ☹️. Has anyone used them? I'm looking for adjust ideas on where to start. I'm 5'11 and 240 and racing motocross. So getting dialed quickly is important. I may end up getting rid of them and getting a set of works valved to fit me if I can't get them right

I imagine the widening kit moves the lower mount out so the arm will have less leverage, effectively making the shocks stiffer... in my experience it's easiest to start by first getting ride height set theb going full soft and turn the dampening up from there. Start on small bumps and whoops and go up from there, should just be bottoming out on the biggest obstacles you are hitting.
Of course I just trail ride so motocross might be different, so take that with a grain of salt.

Actually it raises the top of the shock up. I loss some of the angle. I got to get the front end up for sure. It rides really low to the ground. It looks like a tt race bike now. I'm going to the track next Sunday for the last race of the year. I hope I can get them dialed in. I worry about the shock angle throwing every off

If they're yfz450r shocks your best bet is to hit up Weston for some an arms. That's the only way to make them right.

Moving the lower shock mount out will actually make the suspension softer. The shock angle will make the shaft move slower in comparison to the wheel movement.

These are American star long travel 400ex arms. The motion ratio was still bad and they needed a much heavier spring.

Attachments

• IMG_3317.jpeg
    IMG_3317.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3327.jpeg
    IMG_3327.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4187.jpeg
    IMG_4187.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 0
I`d be careful doing motocross with the widening kit. They`re not really made to take that abuse. I`ve seen quite a few of those on some of my customers quads that can barely handle trail riding without bending.

So theoretically, if someone were to use the longer shocks from a yfz is there already an aftermarket a arm designed for it or is the longer shock going to require a full custom job?
Alternatively could you just fab and weld a taller upper mount to the frame to keep the extra length from causing issues?

So theoretically, if someone were to use the longer shocks from a yfz is there already an aftermarket a arm designed for it or is the longer shock going to require a full custom job?
Alternatively could you just fab and weld a taller upper mount to the frame to keep the extra length from causing issues?
Weston is the only one making arms for them. No you can't just move the upper mount because then your upper limit of the shock will be too far up.

I imagine the widening kit moves the lower mount out so the arm will have less leverage, effectively making the shocks stiffer... in my experience it's easiest to start by first getting ride height set theb going full soft and turn the dampening up from there. Start on small bumps and whoops and go up from there, should just be bottoming out on the biggest obstacles you are hitting.
Of course I just trail ride so motocross might be different, so take that with a grain of salt.
The only problem I've had so far is the first time out in practice it turned the tie rod sleeves into pretzels I looked down after a double and the wheel where pointing two different directions. I had to make thicker, longer sleeves so I can screw in the ends to keep them from bending .

Latest posts

Back