2008 KFX450R is here... Actual pics this time

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would anyone talk **** about an atv manufacturer finally getting with the times and using an aluminum frame? How long has aluminum been used for the frames in every other powersport?

To say that Kaw only saved 5 pounds by using an aluminum frame is probably incorrect. Who is to say that the quad wouldn't have weighed 10 pounds more if they used a steel frme. No one ever said it saved 5 pounds, just that it will be 5 pounds lighter than a yfz. If I was a racer and not a trail rider 5 pounds would mean alot too me. But since I ride some really tight trails I'd take the 5 pounds and reverse over a yfz. Of course this all depends on how well built the motor is.

[quote:24dru7pm]As far as i know, 345 lbs. is the KFX' wieght with e-start and reverse. So subtract say 6 pounds for the kick version, that brings you down to 339 lbs. plus some added weight for the reverse (I dont know how much to subtract for reverse). The aluminum frame is saving a good amount of weight.

Naw that frame really isnt... lol 6 lbs = cock; I can lose that in a week. So the YFZ and that still pretty much weigh the same... But the YFZ has a -> STEEL <- frame lolol and u can put kickstart on a YFZ as well...

You cant subtract dick for reverse really either..

Not only is steel cheaper but it has a higher tensile strength, the frame will cost less to replace as a whole, its cheaper/easier to weld it, and on impact steel will bend or fracture, - aluminum just gets demolished (learned this in my streetbike accident).

I gurantee you Yamaha and Honda tested the waters with an all Al frame - found that due to cost and strength its not worth manufacturing an entire aluminum frame due to such minimal benefits (dick for weight savings, high cost for them and you as a customer to produce/replace, and strength). This is probably why the YFZ has an aluminum subframe but a steel chassis.

Have fun with all that accelerated corrosion too (steel hardware and bolts in an Al frame).

But go Kawi - good job coming out with a 450 FOUR years later! :p[/quote:24dru7pm]

Lol Death sometimes i think i know too much for ur own good :p

Why would anyone talk **** about an atv manufacturer finally getting with the times and using an aluminum frame? How long has aluminum been used for the frames in every other powersport?

To say that Kaw only saved 5 pounds by using an aluminum frame is probably incorrect. Who is to say that the quad wouldn't have weighed 10 pounds more if they used a steel frme. No one ever said it saved 5 pounds, just that it will be 5 pounds lighter than a yfz. If I was a racer and not a trail rider 5 pounds would mean alot too me. But since I ride some really tight trails I'd take the 5 pounds and reverse over a yfz. Of course this all depends on how well built the motor is.

Yeah but 5 lbs even in a balls to the wall drag is not enough to even decisively make the win/lose difference.

Steel has a higher tensile strength, is cheaper to gusset and replace, has DOUBLE the fatigue strength (very important for repetitive jumping), aluminum formability (degree of usable form/shape structurally) is 2/3 that of steel, and steel absorbs vibrations better...

Also even though the paint on the steel may chip away and expose metal steel RESISTS CHIPPING of the actual metal surface FAR better then aluminum (rocks hitting the Al frame will chip away at it).

Do not think for one second Yamaha and Honda didnt attempt an all Al chassis - if the cost was justified for the weight savings they would have utilized it. If you have owned a YFZ you would see that down to the plastic dipstick yamaha has saved every ounce of weight they could from factory. Why not an all Al frame and just a Al subframe?

*If a steel framed YFZ weighs about the same as an All aluminum framed Kawi given the above I would take the steel frame.

[quote:gveo6hhq]Why would anyone talk **** about an atv manufacturer finally getting with the times and using an aluminum frame? How long has aluminum been used for the frames in every other powersport?

Yeah but 5 lbs even in a balls to the wall drag is not enough to even decisively make the win/lose difference.

Steel has a higher tensile strength, is cheaper to gusset and replace, has DOUBLE the fatigue strength (very important for repetitive jumping), aluminum formability (degree of usable form/shape structurally) is 2/3 that of steel, and steel absorbs vibrations better...

Also even though the paint on the steel may chip away and expose metal steel RESISTS CHIPPING of the actual metal surface FAR better then aluminum (rocks hitting the Al frame will chip away at it).

Do not think for one second Yamaha and Honda didnt attempt an all Al chassis - if the cost was justified for the weight savings they would have utilized it. If you have owned a YFZ you would see that down to the plastic dipstick yamaha has saved every ounce of weight they could from factory. Why not an all Al frame and just a Al subf[/quote:gveo6hhq]

Hooolyyyy sheatttt there is some big and smart words in those paragraphs hahaha but also well said... but IMO as long as its fast ( And has reverse in some cases Hahaha death what we were jus talking about ) then its good enough for me

LOL..... the fact is pound for pound aluminum frames are stronger than steel. If steel was better I don't think Yamaha would use aluminum on the R1 or YZ.

An R1 isnt exposed to the abuse or environment an ATV is. As a matter of fact big ass pot holes, minor accidents, and other impacts or jolts to the front end of most aluminum framed sportbikes will total the frame - it cracks or fucks the neck of the bike right up.

Nine times out of ten due to the natures/cost of these frames the insurance companies will total a sport streetbike out right away if ANY damage is done to the frame (even just a ding).

Why do you take everything so personally Deathshadow? What about the YZ's?

I think what Kawasaki has done is great. It is upping the playing field for everyone. It answers most peoples desire. A light weight, powerful 450 ATV with REVERSE and Fuel Injection.

Yamaha realizes the advantages of aluminum, otherwise they would not bother using it at all anywhere in the bike. Remember most airplanes use aluminum exclusively for their frames for its lightweight and strength.

I have faith that the aluminum frame will hold up. With the advances in todays CAD programming, even in the last 5 years, this frame has already had 1000's of hours of simulation time.

Excellent point though about the steel bolts and aluminum corrosive issue. This could be a pain in the ass.

Will this be the new best 450? No one knows till it gets out. It could handle like crap or have dead spots in the power curve. But it is a step forward that will keep all brands of ATV improving and trying to one up the competitors.

A sport bike will be totalled if something is wrong with the frame because of cost, but they're pretty tuff. I have jumped my bikes, wrecked one between 110-115mph and otherwise abused the hell out of them. Never had to replace a frame.

If Kawasaki builds their frame right, there won't be any problems with it. I think if anyone thinks a major motorcycle/atv/dirtbike/etc builder didn't R&D the hell out of it they're wrong. With that said, I won't be one of the first in line to buy one...lol. If there's no problems with them after a couple of months, I'd go sit on one and see if I wanted to take it home.

Just like their wheels that were breaking on the zx12s ? Sorry couldn't help it. The problem with alumium and a hard surface (rocks) is the alumium is a soft metal and will scrape right off. That is the point you are all missing.

I think what Kawasaki has done is great. It is upping the playing field for everyone. It answers most peoples desire. A light weight, powerful 450 ATV with REVERSE and Fuel Injection.

Yamaha realizes the advantages of aluminum, otherwise they would not bother using it at all anywhere in the bike. Remember most airplanes use aluminum exclusively for their frames for its lightweight and strength.

I have faith that the aluminum frame will hold up. With the advances in todays CAD programming, even in the last 5 years, this frame has already had 1000's of hours of simulation time.

Excellent point though about the steel bolts and aluminum corrosive issue. This could be a pain in the ass.

Will this be the new best 450? No one knows till it gets out. It could handle like crap or have dead spots in the power curve. But it is a step forward that will keep all brands of ATV improving and trying to one up the competitors.

Problem is:

Gussets will be a mother fucker

Buying a new frame will be a mother fucker

Corrosion will be a BIG mother fucker

Rock chips and gashes will be a mother fucker

Strength will be a mother fucker (all frames have weak points - even the YFZ).

the COST of an aluminum frame in this case does NOT justify the real minimum weight savings.

I hit a pothole and snapped the neck on a sportbike. (zuki)

I also went down on another at 80 and fucked the frame again...

Once again, some of those problems are luck of the draw. You've snapped the neck on a pothole, I've crashed at 115mph with no damage. Just like a current quad. I rolled a Blaster years ago probably 25-30 times (all in one shot) and not a damn thing wrong with it. I rolled my current bike one time (two rolls) and had to replace bars, stem, axle, A-arms etc.... I don't think corrosion will be a problem either, because just like the sportbike frames I'm sure it will be powdercoated. I'f you've ever polished the frame on a sportbike, you know how damn tuff the powder coating is. Gussets, rock chips/gashes, and overall cost of a replacement I agree with you 100% though.... IF they turn out to be durable, I'd probably buy one.

The aluminum won't corrode unless you constantly scratch it in the same spot. Aluminum forms a harder oxide where it is exposed to oxygen which protects the rest of the metal from oxidation. I'm not sure how steel bolts would work if in contact with the aluminum however, for example anywhere parts mount to the frame. The only issue I see for the most part is people stripping the threads more easily from the not as hard aluminum.

The only issue I see for the most part is people stripping the threads more easily from the not as hard aluminum.
Gotta agree with you on that, maybe some people will realize why they make torque wrenches.

The way I see it, 5 or 10 years from now someone will be posting on here making fun of some quad maker that is still using steel frames.

The aluminum won't corrode unless you constantly scratch it in the same spot. Aluminum forms a harder oxide where it is exposed to oxygen which protects the rest of the metal from oxidation. I'm not sure how steel bolts would work if in contact with the aluminum however, for example anywhere parts mount to the frame. The only issue I see for the most part is people stripping the threads more easily from the not as hard aluminum.

Where steel meets aluminum the corrosion is accelerated VERY rapidly - it will be a bitch ESPECIALLY on a offroad machine. Yamaha uses Aluminum bolts for this reason where strength isnt an issue (like holding the airbox into the Al frame, plastics on the Al part of the frame). Where strength is an issue and Al bolts cant be used Yamaha uses steel bolts (holding the Al subframe to the steel frame). Even though these bolts do NOT thread into the Al frame the area around the steel corrodes VERY fast - trust me I know.

Stop using steel altogether, problem solved!!! There is a variety of alloys that'll do a much better job out there...

Back