2003 Warrior 350 Smoking

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete7072

Reaction score
Hi, New to the forum.... Just got a 2003 Warrior 350. It has an aftermarket Carb ( unknown brand ) aftermarket rear end and exhaust. The only problem with it is it smokes like no other. White smoke out of the exhaust... It's also blowing oil out of the exhaust. Bikes has not been messed with yet, and I jumped on it because it was a steal. Thanks In Advance. I'm assuming Rings and Valve Seals. View attachment 480

View attachment 481

View attachment 482

Last edited:
i would say it time for a rebuild .. man does that thing ever smoke

Top End rebuild? Or complete motor.... If it's the motor, I'm better off just buying a used one.

^^X2, how cheap was it? top end isn't that much if you go stock on it, or keep it close

I knew buying it, just from the description, before seeing it run, that the top end was going to have to be rebuilt. I'm going to hone it also at a local machine shop. If everything is ok with it, I'll just return stock new top end.

If the bore and piston are good, you could probably get away with just changing out the rings and what not.

Yeah more then likely. If it's smoking that bad probably more then just bad rings.

I give it a 110% chance of it needing bored out probably to .40 over

Just spoke to a machine shop, probably the best in the area. They asked if the cylinder that is needed to be honed is Nickle? If it did need to be bored out, would the .40 over Wiseco Top End Rebuild kit be good to build it? What else would I have to do?

Last edited:
Most here like JE, but generally can't go wrong with either. You'd just need to get the kit, then get the jug bored and honed.

While you're at it if you want to upgrade some other stuff would be a good time while it's apart.

Most here like JE, but generally can't go wrong with either. You'd just need to get the kit, then get the jug bored and honed.

While you're at it if you want to upgrade some other stuff would be a good time while it's apart.

AS a note. The motor sounds fine when it runs... No noises or knocks. Just that amazing smoke cloud, oil out of the exhaust

Better pull the head and cylinder and have the bore measured before ordering parts. People are all the time dragging cylinders in our shop to be bored and bring the parts and the cylinder is already bigger than the piston they ordered, or worn too far to clean up.

^^X2 find out the bore of your jug then order a piston for it, then take the jug and piston to the shop and have them match it up

with the oil coming out the exhaust like that you might want to have values seats and seals done

Brought it to the dealership today, just to see what it would cost to rebuild the top end. They quoted me at around $600. Kind of insane. I don't think I can do this myself.

Leave it I think the white smoke looks cool :) But seems like there's oil being burn in your piston.

I'm no mad scientist like you guys. I'm one those guys, who can sit here and say "Yeah Man, your piston rings are shot, while you have it out, might as well hone it yada yada yada " . But I could'nt do it. I have a good friend of mine who works at a motorcycle shop tell me about $400 with the parts. He's very meticulous with his bikes, he'll tell me flat out if there's something else wrong. He's worried about the head being cracked on the inside. I don't hear noise, so we'll see.

Back