2003 Warrior 350 Motor Oil Question

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calypso

Reaction score
Is 20w50 Valvoline Racing oil okay to put in a 2003 Yamaha Warrior?
If its bad, could it be the cause for a slipping clutch?
If so, would changing of the oil would fix the problem?
If clutch is still slipping after oil change, in order to keep it running until I can buy a full clutch kit. What thickness clutch plate (steel plate) should I put in it? 1.6mm or 2.0mm? those are the only stock size steel plates Yamaha offers.

Whats are your preferred clutch brands?

I've seen a thread not too long ago about an EBC Dirt Digger any opinions?

Other questions on oil, seeing as how Yamalube is pricey... should I go ahead and get 10w40 yamalube, just bite the bullet and go for it? Or is there another preferred brand that riders like?

Thanks much in advance!

Just don't use synthetic oil, or so that's what I've been told. There is a thread on here all about oils.

Is 20w50 Valvoline Racing oil okay to put in a 2003 Yamaha Warrior?.... eh you shouldnt use "regular" motor oil it has antifriction additives in it and that makes your clutch slip
If its bad, could it be the cause for a slipping clutch? yep
If so, would changing of the oil would fix the problem? not if you burnt up your clutch
If clutch is still slipping after oil change, in order to keep it running until I can buy a full clutch kit. What thickness clutch plate (steel plate) should I put in it? 1.6mm or 2.0mm? those are the only stock size steel plates Yamaha offers..... youll mostly likely not need steels... only the "other" ones will do

Other questions on oil, seeing as how Yamalube is pricey... should I go ahead and get 10w40 yamalube, just bite the bullet and go for it? Or is there another preferred brand that riders like? i run belray thumper, its semi synthetic and expensive... im thinking of going to rotella t next time

Thanks much in advance! no problem

answers are in the qoute

Make sure the oil is safe for wet clutches first. Do not use a automotive oil unless it has the jaso/ma certification like rotella.

Yea the diesel truck oils such as Rotella 15-40 is a good oil to use, i used it alot good stuff for the longevity of the trans, otherwise and JASO approved oils will work.

well i talked to a service tech now a parts sales guy at a yamaha authorized deal, he said the car oils have molylubes and are not good at all on wet clutches. Once your friction plates soak that oil up, its too late. So another 150$ will be put into my quad to get it moving this time. It shifts through all gears, its just it slips really bad. So i bought Yamalube 10w40 and a new oil filter. gotta clean my oil strainer, and buy a new clutch kit and springs. So thank you guys for all your answers, they have been helpful!

crap.. im boned!

better get that crap outta my warrior quick then!!!

does one have to pull the engine n split it apart to change the clutch stuffs??

They sell ATV and motorcycle oil at most all car auto parts stores (auto zone, advanced, ect.) Go that route. Not even a price difference. Just gotta open your eyes and look around. Also, filters can be reused but not suggested. Gravity clean the used ones and as long as you don't have shavings or bad grime in the engine, it can be reused.

it wasnt a matter of cost realy.
workin at a mechanics shop, we have a several huge containers full of oils.
5w20, 5w30 10w30, 0w40, 15w40 etc etc, some sythetic versions of em as well.

I just read in the manual and for the current temps up here this time of year went with 10w30, non synthetic.. lol

crap.. im boned!

better get that crap outta my warrior quick then!!!

does one have to pull the engine n split it apart to change the clutch stuffs??

I'm not very familiar with clutches hence the thread about oils and clutch parts and other misc. I know the clutch is on the right side of the motor when sitting on it. Same cover that your oil dipstick is on. As far as the clutch tool goes, I don't know if ill need one. I could probably get away with welding several steel plates together and welding an arm on that as a make-shift clutch tool. There are usually 5 or 6, i think on warriors its 5, but there are clutch springs with bolts on each one, they hold the clutch plates and basket together (im assuming) I am a very mechanically inclined kind of person and can fix a lot of things I am not very familiar with. So when i break into my clutch cover and really look at my clutch I will understand right away what is necessary to do the job. I have already been in my clutch cover side of the motor drilling and installing an oil cooler mod. But that didnt involve the clutch. just a drill and a tap and some JB Weld.

You can leave the motor in the quad, just pull the clutch cover, think its like 12-15 bolts on the right side of the motor, the same side that the reverse lever and spark plug are on, the bolts are 8mm flanged bolt heads.

Last edited:
Back