2002 Warrior rear brakes sticking

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galaxy5oo

Reaction score
I searched and could not find any other threads related to this exact problem. I just bought an 02 Warrior about 2 weeks ago. It has not been ridden much in the last 2 years and the rear brake caliper is sticking closed. I have not ridden the bike except around my house a very short distance. The guy I bought it from told me it was doing it, but it is sticking pretty good. It has a squeal when you roll the bike backwards or put it in reverse and the short distance I rode and tried to free it up the caliper was already getting real warm. You can feel a pretty good resistance when you try to roll the bike in neutral. I worked the brake pretty good just trying to get it freed up, but I have not torn into it yet. I was hoping I might free it up just working the brakes and get it where it will release like it should. I thought maybe since it has not been ridden much that is why it was sticking. Does anyone have any experience with this that might give me some tips on the easiest way to fix the problem? The pads look to have quite a bit of meat left on them. This bike has really not been ridden a lot for being 5 years old. Thanks for any help.

the rear brakes are fairly simple -2 basic things happen.

1) when you hit the brake the caliper piston pushes out. Test, take a couple of screwdrivers between the rotor and the inner pad -lever some space between them. If it is difficult in any way the caliper needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Check on a search engine for yamaha oem parts - everybody has the same drawings.

2) the caliper rides on 2 pins -they need to be rust free and well lubricated. This allows the pads to wear evenly. It is fairly common for the large "bolt" pin to freeze up. If that is frozen, work it out of there without damaging the caliper. It is about a $5 part. If the boots that protect the pins are damaged in any way -replace them. Trust me, you will never get an old one back in no matter how hard you try. Use a high quality, water resistant grease on the pins.

Is the parking brake still on it?

Thanks for the info. I will take a look at both of those things this week. It sounds like it could be a rusted pin since it has not been ridden much it may be sticking from just sitting around. I thought the same thing about the parking brake being set, but I made sure it was not set. Hopefully it is just the pin and an easy fix. If not I may have to get a kit and rebuild the caliper.

Back