2002 blaster $850 good deal or not

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like a decent bike. Not something I would bye, though. But that's just me. The blaster is a good bike, from what I know (I've never owned one). However, it is a 2 stoke, so if you don't like mixing gas/oil take that into consideration. The Blaster does have oil injection, I BELIEVE, so there is a plus. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Still, nothin wrong with a good ole 2 stroke. Also, it doesn't have reverse. If you don't wanna have to get off and push, pull, or jerk the bike to turn it around, think about that, too. Lastly, it is small, so I hope you're not too tall. Look around some more and you'll find something priced about the same that may catch your eye. Just my .02, good luck with the search.

Unless the brakes have been converted, everything 2002 and older have manual cable operated brakes. You will hate that. Try to find an 03 or newer because they have hydraulic brakes factory.

My only gripe with a Blasty is it's size & braking... important if you're a bigger guy. I'm 6'2" & about 230 & I can ride the Blaster that my cousins have no problem & have tons of fun doin it, I just look a lil dorky on it. They can make tons of power, handle pretty good, easy to throw around, TONS of Aftermarket support, you name it & it's pretty much available for the Blaster. Do yourself a favor & ditch the self mixer though, they have a plastic pump drive gear & have been known to destroy an engine. If you get it & do some research you can build it to the point that many a Warrior/400EX Will get it's ass busted! As far as it not having reverse, well, that has it's ups & downs, Blasters aren't really put-put machines, it doesn't like ALOT of light throttle riding & was never designed for trail riding & once ya kinda get into riding it you'll find that your desire to just look around in the woods for a new path & needing reverse to back up & find it really doesn't matter. Additionally, it's so easy to just stab the throttle & spin it around that after ya get used to riding it you can do about whatever ya want. If the one you're looking at has solid swingarm bushings, axle bearings & decent balljoints & front drums, $850 Aint too bad, otherwise, they are typically 5-600 dollar machines IMO until ya get to '03. If I were in the market looking specifically to buy a Blaster it would be an '03-06 but that's just me & if you are just looking for something to ride, the Blaster is a simple, affordable & easy to work on machine that just gets better with each mod. Take that stock machine & if it has good compression just buy a simple Toomey kit for it, that's a B1 pipe & silencer, jet & UNI air filter. You'll be surprised at the change in it!

Wow thanks. I am just looking for a small blaster I am 5'7 170 I am going to look at this one tomorrow I just want a simple reliable machine too ride for a while.

as long as everything is sound on it looks good for 850. also if it had oil injection i would cap that off and just mix your gas before hand, i have had to many friends have their oil injection go bad and then toast the motor. just my 2 cents. hopes it works out for ya

Oh hell that bike is perfect for you, then. A lot of people consider reverse a must have, like me. But I explore tons of places where it is much apprieciated. I could never understand the self mixer anyway. If you don't wanna mix gas/oil, buy a 4 stroke! The injection pumps crap out on em all anyhow. Polaris is famous for it.

It should fit you fine then. As far as it being reliable, we've beaten the piss out of em running wise, we keep up with maintenance & adjustments well but don't cut running it hard much slack. Even if it's worn out in the topend it's just cheap as all get out to service. If the cylinder isn't scored up go one size overbore with a new Wiseco piston or Vito's piston (also made by Wiseco but clearanced on the exhaust side for proper exhaust port timing) & she'll be good to go for quite some time. You can also have the head milled & rechambered by Flotek or Ken O'connor racing with some portwork by either of those companies & then hold on!
A simple setup just for improved performance in a Blaster is this, I know it by experience so trust me.
1) A stock ported jug overbored even 1mm
2) The aforementioned rechambered head
3) Toomey or Dynoport exhaust (ran em both as well as some others & both of these setups are badass!)
4) remove airlid
5) proper tuning.
Notice I didn't even mention a carb upgrade, I didn't b/c I've had his combo run great even on a stock jetted carb, upgrading to a lil 28mm Keihin PWK was even better but the stocker did fine. There's just tons you can do with it... A setup very similar to this with a jug that I personally ported myself on my cousins' Blaster is not only lifting but carrying the front wheels even with my big ole butt on it, very impressive lil machine. The other machine that I've pretty much built is even nastier.

Well i took the blaster for a ride and it starts first kick every time but it doesn’t idle. The handle bars were a little bent and the head light switch was broken but beside that it was ok not worth 850 though.

Well i took the blaster for a ride and it starts first kick every time but it doesn’t idle. The handle bars were a little bent and the head light switch was broken but beside that it was ok not worth 850 though.
probably needs a carb or a rebuild on the carb

Well it was not in the best condition and 725 was a little high. Then I found a 400ex that was a good price in good condition so I picked that up.

Back