2000 warrior bogging out

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woosimons

Reaction score
Just bought me a Warrior here recently....ran perfect when i got it...had a problem started the other day. I was out riding it for about 30 minutes or so and was running great!! Found an open trail, so i decided to open it up..once i got into 6th gear, it acted as if it were running out of gas or something...bogging out and such..so i shut it off for a second to check the tank. it was low, so i switched it to reserve, started up fine, and (of course) started hauling @$$ back down the trail, and it ran perfect. Filled it up later that night...went to start it the next day, and I was out with it for about 35 or 45 minutes, and was running good...until, i decided to open it up again. same thing happened. bogging out when giving throttle...shut it off, starts up just fine...idles great...take off, and its bogging out still..did get a backfire though this time...anyone else have this problem? any helpful advice?

First check your fuel flow, check your carb for crap in it cause I'm sure there's no gas filter which you should add and also check plug I'd get a new one gap and try it that's after the stuff I said first.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9310 using Tapatalk

Any modifications made to it (air filter, muffler?) you may be running to lean.

not really any major mods...new pistons, rings, cleaned carb, new air box and filter, intake boot, fuel petcock valve, gaskets, and new oil pump has all been done in February...along with new drive chain and sprocket...have the timing chain and sprocket, just havent got to it yet...and the valves were adjusted also....a mechanic had said the cam might need to be replaced also due to that oil pump that went bad....could a bad cam cause this issue?? just annoying bc it was running perfectly awesome before saturday....grrrr

I should also add that i'm not very good at diagnosing and fixing these things myself...hate to be annoying and ask this, but, how would you check the fuel flow? also, I just noticed that the wires that are going into where the stator is located, they seem a little loose and some of the wire coating is missing right as its going into the stator housing (if thats what you would call it) Could it also be possibly starting to run crappy when it gets warmer b/c of the heat of the engine affecting those wires?

Lol we don't mind helping. To check fuel flow pull your gas line off to check and see if its flowing the petcock valve. The cam could be the problem but hard to say caause u said it ran good. Do you have a stock exhaust on it?

Also check your gas cap to make sure its venting too.

even though it was just cleaned back in Feb. of this year...and it really hasnt been going too much yet this year....i'll def check it out soon tho...that was also one of my first thoughts, needed cleaned or adjusted or something..do you have any thoughts on that stator as i mentioned...

Something else to check is the filters on the gas cock. possible dirt inside the gas tank could be clogging the pet cock filters causing lack of fuel to flow into the carb when opening it up. drain the gas tank and remove the 2 screws from the pet cock going into the gas tank.

One other thing I just thought of is possible restricted (dirty from carbon buildup) baffles in the stock exhaust?

I would say that the flow of the pet cock to the carb is fine...a newer line has been on there...i can also see the gas inside that line...so to me, im guessing the flow there is should be good?? I'll say this again..nobody has any opinion on the stator that i have mentioned above...the fact that the wires are looking pretty crappy on it? also, there's a green wire thats wrapped with all the wires that go into the stator...anyway, this green wire runs from there, wraps under the shifter pedal, and plugs into something...(looks like the end tip of a spark plug)....anybody know what that is, b/c, that wire doesnt connect the best to it......all of your suggestions have been great ideas for me to check out by the way....

That's your neutral safety. Its not your stator you sad it runs but breaks up at wot.

so, are you suggesting that my neutral safety switch is bad (now with this bit of information that i've stated) or are you just telling me what that wire is plugged into?

so, are you suggesting that my neutral safety switch is bad (now with this bit of information that i've stated) or are you just telling me what that wire is plugged into?

Just what the wires plugged into. I think u have a carb problem.

yes...im really agreeing with you on that...b/c...i just took it out for a run to see....it jumps back and forth from running great, to running like crap, all within a 30 second time period....sitting at an idle, i can give it full gas and it's great!! then, all of the sudden, i try to give it any throttle, and it bogs and backfires, then a few seconds later its running great again...so, im def agreeing with you on the carb issue or possible gas flow issue, or possibly both?...sometimes i can see the gas flow in the line, other times its looking like no gas is flowing...however, i do still think there is some type of electrical problem b/c, at some points when you rev the engine, the neutral light will start to dim, then go off completely, then come back on...and moving those wires around will also do the same thing to the light (the wires that i do believe are going into the stator)

Last edited:
yes...im really agreeing with you on that...b/c...i just took it out for a run to see....it jumps back and forth from running great, to running like crap, all within a 30 second time period....sitting at an idle, i can give it full gas and it's great!! then, all of the sudden, i try to give it any throttle, and it bogs and backfires, then a few seconds later its running great again...so, im def agreeing with you on the carb issue or possible gas flow issue, or possibly both?...sometimes i can see the gas flow in the line, other times its looking like no gas is flowing...however, i do still think there is some type of electrical problem b/c, at some points when you rev the engine, the neutral light will start to dim, then go off completely, then come back on...and moving those wires around will also do the same thing to the light (the wires that i do believe are going into the stator)

That's prob a bad connection to the neutral safety switch

That wouldn't be th whole reason why it's acting funny all the sudden would it (the neutral safety switch)... Or are you still thinking carb problems? I'm gonna check it out here soon. My work schedule is funky so I don't really have much time to do it through the week...

Back