1st time clutch replacement

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lt55

Reaction score
I'm about to do my first clutch replacement on an 03' Warrior and I'm looking for advise. I havent bought parts yet. I'm not going to buy an expensive Hinson clutch.Just OEM or something comparable.I don't race I just ride for recreation with my son on the weekends.Do I need to soak the plates for 24 hrs?Do I need a clutch holding tool or a clutch hub holder?Should I buy a clutch basket also?I only want to do this once.I think I'm somewhat mechanicly inclined.Any advise would be great.Thanks

No need to replace the clutch basket, just check for grooves worn into the fingers and file them smooth if necessary. OEM clutches are good, i've also had good luck with EBC clutches and they're priced about as cheap as you'll ever find a quality product. I never needed any holding tools, I just put it in gear and used an impact wrench to remove the boss nut and wrapped the basket tightly with a towel and had someone hold onto it when I torqued it down. A holder would make it easier, but isn't necessary and not worth the money for a one time use in my opinion. You should soak the plates in oil first, at least a few hours. It'll greatly improve the life of the clutch.

The only other advice I have is to check the thrust bearing and replace if it's showing any wear, don't try to re-use the cover gasket, don't buy a Tusk clutch, and add an extra steel plate in the pack if you want to extend the life of the new clutch. One of the flaws in yamaha's design is that the pressure plate will bottom out and stop applying pressure when about half the material has worn from the friction pads. There can be plenty of friction material left, but it will just start slipping because the pressure plate has ran out of travel. Adding an extra steel plate not only puts more spring force on the plates and prevents them from slipping, but also gives some extra thickness so you get more life out of the frictions before that pressure plate bottoms out. You can just throw in one of the old steel plates in with the new clutch kit, anywhere in the middle next to another steel. Chances are you'll find that the clutch in it doesn't look badly worn at all, this is because of yamaha's flawed design. In reality you could even add 1 or 2 extra steel plates in with the used ones and get a couple more years out of the clutch that's in it if you want to save the money.

you should be pleased with that EBC clutch. i am even with my motor midly built and running 0w-40 synthetic oils in it. i think however i am going to throw in an extra steel plate the next time i have the clutch cover off. good luck

Back