1st ride, big disappointment

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaptainkx

Reaction score
Ok, took the warrior out for the first ride today, and all I can say is wow, what a weak machine, I dont expect it to be my banshee, but figured with all the mods it would be close to my 400ex but its not even close. I imagine somethings wrong with it, cause I doubt they normally run like this, Id compare it to a older utility quad, takes a 1/4 mile to get through the gears and I cannot get it to wheelie at all, pop the clutch at 3/4 throttle and it pulls up, but feels like the front end weighs a ton and falls back down, also a 3rd gear mid throttle run and then floor it feels like it just sits there and after about 2 seconds finally accelerates. So Im in need of some help on idea's, I have set the valve lash, and also the cam timing is right on, carb was ran through the ultrasonic cleaner and is spotless however jetting may be off, so the carb is one thought, my other thought may be the cdi, its got a ricks hot shot or something on it and not sure if that would cause and issue or not with the higher compression, I know it does on my 400ex. Any idea's will help, it runs good as long as your one it, itll powerslide around corners as long as you are pushing going into it, but no low end, accelaration from a mid throttle cruise falls on its face and top end isnt very impressive either,seems like it revs out early. Not familiar with this quad so any info will help, thanks guys.

no, the clutch is good, its not slipping and not getting the power to the ground, its just not making the power

What exactly are "all the mods"? These machines can be tough to get a perfect combo tuned in just right because of there single cam 2-valve design, the right combo of compression and cam makes all the difference in the world. The 3rd to WOT and the delay sound deff like a normal carb thing, its the accel. pump and jetting. Your jetting may be off but a quick tip is to put in a beefier spring from a retractable pen in place of the accel. pump stock spring. Also check to see if you have clutch slippage.

The warrior is nowhere near to what a banshee is but deff. can compete with the ex if modded right. Don't give up on it just yet.

366 big bore, 10.5:1 (has 225 psi compression), white bros e series, k&n with open airbox, the cdi, and was told it has a web cam however I cannot verify this at this time nor give spec either. No clutch slippage, and I have to laugh when you mention the pen sping, I had actually lost the original spring for about 10 minutes and had thoughts about using a pen spring until I found the original one. Has anyone ever used a 400ex carb on a warrior? Looks like a wolverine intake would be all one would need.

I have about the same setup as you and can keep up to raptor 660's, preditor 500's, beat 400's. If there stock or close to. It should have around 30hp with a good tune and correct jetting.
Gearing plays a big roll. If you have 20's with a 12T front sprocket you will be shifting more then you will be going forward. Same goes for the other way around. You have 25's on with 16T front it is going to feel slow and doggy.
When you say rev's out quick and power not getting to the ground that to me says.. slipping clutch.
What are you running the pipe open or with disks?
Also when you say you give it gas and dies sounds lean to me. I would make sure and start rich on the main jet and work your way back to see where you are. I know if I'm 2 sizes off it makes a big difference in power.

gearing wise I run 20's so I went up 1 on the front (14) and kept the 40 in the rear. And no the clutch isnt slipping, trust me, it aint making the power to put to the ground. As far as the exhaust goes, it has 12 disks and no silent core and I just repacked it the other day. Best way to explain the acceration issue to me, and mostly only the older member are going to understand this, but would be to relate it to a quadrajet carb on a car, punch it and she stumbles and then finally goes, but again even when it does finally go you can feel it go but isnt all that impressive, you can tell its still lagging

yea if everything else is in good working order it seems like it needs a rejet...most likely richer, have you tried running it with the lid off just to see how it acts? i know even mine will take a 400ex in a drag and mine reaches top speed pretty quick, just a short little strip of land and punch it and it will get to 6th pretty quickly, warrior front ends are already heavy and my front tires are pretty big, but mine likes to raise the front end up sometimes without trying, 1st through 3rd wheelies are pretty easy also when just sitting down, give a little tug and its up, something is deffinitely up, it should run a good bit faster.

yeah the airbox lid is off. I'll throw some jets at it tomorrow and see what happens, if nothing else it'll rule the carb out if it doesnt change.

Come to find out the bike is actually running rich so I dropped jetting till the pipe turned red then continued to go up till it stopped running good, I think the jetting is close now, but the problem still isnt solved, it runs a lot better, but not as good as mnost of you claim it should, wheelies are still out of the question and my 400ex would still wax it easy. So any other possibility's that come to mind? I went ahead and disconnected the parking brake too just to rule that out and no change there.

kaptainkx said:
gearing wise I run 20's so I went up 1 on the front (14) and kept the 40 in the rear. And no the clutch isnt slipping, trust me, it aint making the power to put to the ground. As far as the exhaust goes, it has 12 disks and no silent core and I just repacked it the other day. Best way to explain the acceration issue to me, and mostly only the older member are going to understand this, but would be to relate it to a quadrajet carb on a car, punch it and she stumbles and then finally goes, but again even when it does finally go you can feel it go but isnt all that impressive, you can tell its still lagging

I would try running no disks and see if it runs any better.
Other then jetting I can't think of anything more. I say sell it doesn't sound like your very happy with it.

kaptainkx said:
Come to find out the bike is actually running rich so I dropped jetting till the pipe turned red then continued to go up till it stopped running good, I think the jetting is close now, but the problem still isnt solved, it runs a lot better, but not as good as mnost of you claim it should, wheelies are still out of the question and my 400ex would still wax it easy. So any other possibility's that come to mind? I went ahead and disconnected the parking brake too just to rule that out and no change there.

sounds like you dicked with the pilot jet. did you try going up in sizes on the main?

well I did take the disks out at one point and just run it open, but it was terribly loud like this so thats not going to be an option, and no I havent touched the pilot jet, just the main is all I have changed out, I havent messed with the needle yet either, it was way to hot and humid out today so once I was close on the main I quit for the day. And trust me I have thought about selling it, but they are a worthless quad in my eyes, for the $1500 at best it would sell for I cant justify sending it down the road, plus this issue will eat at me until I figure it out and once I do Id have no reason to want to get rid of it

Keep in mind that the warriors like to spin the tires quite a bit more than most quads because they are so damn front heavy. You're probably getting the power to the wheels, just not to the ground lmao. The spin isn't completely obvious, they ever so slightly slip during acceleration. I have a bitch of a time getting forward traction here even with razor2's since most of michigan's trails are all covered with a few inches of really dry and loose sand. Wait till after it rains and the sand or dirt is really tacky and moist and you won't believe the difference. I use sand gecko v paddles on quite a few trails here lmao. I really wish that yamaha balanced this machine a little better, but it does pay off in the trails since it turns sharper than most of the machines I've ridden. Replace that stock carb on there with anything better you can find for a decent price, that mod made one hell of a difference on how the machine runs. Without running the juice me and my buddies piped z400 are dead nuts even in a drag, not bad for 50cc less displacement. This was before the motor work also.

well, Im starting to get it figured out. Turns out I had the silent core in the exhaust, just taking that out I had to jet back up from the 138 to a 165 to make it happy again. feels pretty peppy now but I havent really ridden it yet to tottally find out as I have it back at my house in town and dont want to upset the neighbors. The transition between idle and mid throttle is terrible so Im going to mess with the needle next and see where that takes me, but I think she's getting close, I'll take it out tomorrow and verify.

Ha ha, it's funny how they claim the quiet cores don't change jetting...

kaptainkx said:
well, Im starting to get it figured out. Turns out I had the silent core in the exhaust, just taking that out I had to jet back up from the 138 to a 165 to make it happy again. feels pretty peppy now but I havent really ridden it yet to tottally find out as I have it back at my house in town and dont want to upset the neighbors. The transition between idle and mid throttle is terrible so Im going to mess with the needle next and see where that takes me, but I think she's getting close, I'll take it out tomorrow and verify.

Dude 138 to 165 is a HUGE change in jetting on the main.
First get the pilot jet and fuel screw set. That way it has nice 0 to 1/4.
Then move on to the main jet, because if the main is off you will never get the needle right. SO Full throttle. I would start rich and work your way lean. Jet rich enough to get it to act like a rev limiter (studder) at the top end. As you get leaner and leaner on the main jet rpm's will pick up and the studder or rev limiter effect will move up in RPM. Eventually you will find that as you move closer to the correct jetting there will be no studder at the very top rpm and the engine will rev cleanly all the way to the top end.
Then Needle. Do a full throttle run in 6th gear. Back off to 3/4 throttle so you are on the needle. Engine should not pick up in rpm or studder. If picks up in rpm.. lean main jet, go back and retune Main. If sudders, needle is rich. If dies needle is lean.
I've read 19 disks work good for modded engines.

You aint kiddin it's huge, I never would have guessed it needed to be that drastic, but it is what it is. I think everything is close on the jetting end of it now minus a little fine tuning, I'll find that out tomoorw when I take it out for a ride. 19 disks is ungodly, Id need new screws I only have 12 or 13 disks and cant fit anymore. I'd like a different pipe period, never liked this style of pipe, to much dinking around imo

Stupid thing to ask, but how is your chain looking? Any slapping, or seem loose at all. Could be out of adjustment, but a good chain, guide, and rollers can really help suprisingly enough.

Back