1997 Warrior parking brake eliminating

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moparluvr

Reaction score
Hi. I am new here. I just picked up a 1997 warrior for my wife to ride with us. I was wanting to put an easy pull clutch lever on but it has the other cable and wires connected. I heard there is a way to eliminate the parking brake cable and connect some wires together to be able to put a regular clutch perch on. Any Ideas?
Thanks

Nobody here knows how to do this?????????????????????
Or you atv guys arent the friendly type like dirtbikers???

no, not at all and most all of us know how to do this, it a topic thats been covered a hundred times. just take the parking brake off, get a parking brake block off plate, and the wires that you un-plug for the barking brake, just plug them into each other and your good to go. Theres other posts that goes into it more but thats the gest of it.

And welcome to the site!

But like it says in all the other posts about this make sure you get the parking brake block off that has the o ring.

i didnt get an O ring style... i used black rtv gasket maker, laid a nice bead around.. let it sit 15-20 min.. install carefully and wipe of the smudge..

to check for leaks? nope.. but ill check next time i get a chance...

Ok because i have the one with the o ring and some how water got into it but not much.

Great. thanks.Do them wires on the handle need to be squeezed in front to release them? I am wanting to do this so I can put an easy pull lever for the wife. The stock one seems kinda stiff. this is my first quad I ever purchased. Any reccomendations, ? I heard the stock air filter is noy too tight of a setup? should I get a whole new setup?
Thanks again ;)

moparluvr said:
Great. thanks.Do them wires on the handle need to be squeezed in front to release them? I am wanting to do this so I can put an easy pull lever for the wife. The stock one seems kinda stiff. this is my first quad I ever purchased. Any reccomendations, ? I heard the stock air filter is noy too tight of a setup? should I get a whole new setup?
Thanks again ;)

EZ-pull clutch perches aren't the way to go, they really don't fix what causes the stiff clutch on the warrior, they just put more leverage on the cable which decreases the overall clutch travel, possibly so much that it won't fully disengage. Take a look in our tutorials section or do a search for the Raptor 350 clutch release conversion. Basically it takes about $40 worth of parts including a new cable to convert the warrior's system to the Raptor 350's setup, a much easier, smoother, and better designed system. You can keep the stock clutch perch or swap it out with an aftermarket one, i'm partial to the MSR clutch perches myself, hell of a good deal for a nice perch.

As far as dealing with the wiring if you do replace the stock clutch perch, here's the quick version of it. You'll have 2 switches and therefore 2 wires coming off the clutch perch, running down under the hood, so you'll have to take off the headlights and hood to get to the connectors. You shoud find that one of these wires has a single white plastic connector, just disconnect that one and let it hang there, your parking brake sensor is now bypassed. The other wire coming from the perch will have 2 spade connectors. Unplug both of them and you should find that one is a male, other is a female. Plug them together and the clutch safety switch is also bypassed, just be careful because it'll start regardless of it being in gear or the clutch released.

Yes, the stock air filter setup is about as shitty as they come. If you've had it apart you probably noticed that it relies on the airbox lid to hold it perfectly in position, and a thin foam donut as a gasket to seal the filter against the flange in the airbox. So if everything doesn't go together perfectly, and it's very easy to get the filter in a little cattywompus, you won't know you made mistake til you take it apart to clean it again and find out that you've been sucking in all the dust and dirt into your engine.

Simple solution, replace the stock filter with a Pro Design air filter kit. It's just an aluminum adapter that gets screwed onto the flange in the airbox, and a clamp on air filter that fits onto that adapter. Pretty much no way to put it together wrong this way, so even at $80 for the kit it's cheap insurance that you're not going to ruin your engine from sucking in dirt and debris. You can get them with either a UNI foam filter or a K&N cotton filter. It's your choice, personal preference, but I will spend the extra 10 or 15 bucks for a K&N every time, they're just a hell of a lot nicer to work with, quick and easy to clean and re-oil without making a sticky mess of everything.

With the clamp on filter kit you can leave the airbox lid off if you want to, you'll get more dirt and mud into your filter if you ride in really dusty, muddy, or wet conditions, but if you don't fit into that category you can get a few horsepower out of leaving that lid off and rejetting the carb. You will have to rejet it though or it'll be too lean, the stock airbox lid is quite a bit more restrictive than it looks.

Back