05 Raptor no spark

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahause

Reaction score
I was just riding my daughter's 2005 350 Raptor and it made a clack sound and died when I was going through the gears. It wont start now. This is the second time this has happened. The first time it started up and worked fine the next day. It still has good compression but it has no spark. Any idea what may have happened? Thanks in advance for any help.

Pull off your stator cover and check it all out! Flywheel might have sheared the key but your gonna have to pull the flywheel to see..

my raptor did something similar after it went swimming, for mine it was the stator...it wouldnt have spark then outta no where it would spark again

I went out this morning to test the stator/coil and it now has spark.
I didn't do anything to fix it. I installed the spark plug and it fired right up.
I tried wiggling all the wires and connections to see if it would stutter or die. I'm at a loss on what is happening. We're going on a trip to the dunes in a couple weeks and I don't trust this quad right now.
Do coils fail in this manner?

I went out this morning to test the stator/coil and it now has spark.
I didn't do anything to fix it. I installed the spark plug and it fired right up.
I tried wiggling all the wires and connections to see if it would stutter or die. I'm at a loss on what is happening. We're going on a trip to the dunes in a couple weeks and I don't trust this quad right now.
Do coils fail in this manner?

Yes the do! Had happen on my RM 250 one day it didnt run no spark and come out the next day fire up one kick I changed the coil never had the problem again

I'm not sure if I should replace the ignition coil or the charging coil. Maybe I should do both. I'm looking at a package on ebay that has a ignition coil, charging coil/stator and starter relay for $69. I'm just wondering if the quality is good.

So I ordered Caltric ignition coil and stator off ebay. The bike still started after installing the ignition coil but wont start after installing the stator. I'm getting no spark again. Which wires should I be checking the resistance on?

I just swapped out the Caltric stator for my original. I now have spark and the bike starts. I will be contacing Caltric today. Now the gasket is leaking. Am I supposed to put sealant on the gasket also?

Not usually but u might have torn it so yes you can use a sealant

Sent from my BlackBerry 9310 using Tapatalk

Caltric is sending me a new stator and gasket. What type of sealant should I use? Should I put it on both sides of the gasket? Thanks for the help.

Caltric is sending me a new stator and gasket. What type of sealant should I use? Should I put it on both sides of the gasket? Thanks for the help.

Your welcome. If there sending you new one I wouldnt use any at all. But if you need to I use the gray high temp silicone matches the motor lol.

I installed the replacement stator that Caltric sent me and once again I have no spark. When comparing the two non functioning Caltric Stators I get 506 ohms off the coil. On the original stator that still functions I get 574 ohms. What is supposed be the acceptable range?​

I installed the replacement stator that Caltric sent me and once again I have no spark. When comparing the two non functioning Caltric Stators I get 506 ohms off the coil. On the original stator that still functions I get 574 ohms. What is supposed be the acceptable range?​

On the 3 white wires coming out of the stator, they should all have 0.7~0.8 ohms resistance in all three combinations. That means imagine numbering each white wire either 1, 2, or 3. Check 1 to 2, 1 to 3 and 2 to 3. Also, check any one of the white wires to the laminated iron core of the stator. ANY continuity to ground indicates the stator has had an insulation breakdown and will have to be replaced.

To test the Source coil (for the ignition) connect your pocket tester from the white/green wire to the red wire. Resistance should be 270~330 ohms resistance.

To test the pickup coil, connect your tester from the blue to the yellow wire. Resistance should be 171~209 ohms resistance.

I put it back together with the original stator. It ran for about five minutes and then died. Once againg no spark. I measure the coil and it measures open where it previously was reading 574ohms. The three white wires are all read .8 ohms. I must need a new coil.

Should I be setting the air gap on the pick up coil? I notice that the OEM stator is a looser fit.

I think I finally got it fixed. The old pickup coil failed and reads open. It didn't recover like before after cooling off. I removed the pickup coil from the ebay stator the wouldn't work and installed it on the OEM stator. The bike starts up and I rode it for ~30 minutes without a problem. I'm not sure why the Ebay stator woudn't work. It measured in spec. Thanks for the help.

Back