01 wolverine-no start/no spark/need advice

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatorchin

Reaction score
everything was fine..I was riding my quad and it shut down a few times while on the trail...i had to use the pull start, then the next time i could use the push button..then i would have to use pull start again..then->..i found i had a faulty kill switch..so money being tight, i rewired the switch so i could still use push button, but take kill out of circuit (i think i got this right)..i have already disconnected park brake safety switch (unplugged white connecter and plugged black and black/white wires together..when i turn key to on, neutral light is on, when i push start button the oil light comes on, but that's it..for a while my start circuit cut off relay would click, but thats it..one day i disconnected the red wire with bullet connector coming off battery, used jumper wires to complete cut off relay circuit (with relay removed) and i could pull start it..rode down the road, backfired a couple of times and the bike just lost power, then while rolling it would fire back up, then lose power, then fire back up...did this till i got it back home..after that i could not pull start it again..so i bought a new battery, new starter solenoid, removed starter, disasembled it and inspected it, everything looked good...fuse it good..i tested every component (except cdi since that can't be tested) and everything was within specs (stator, source coil, pick up coil, ignition coil, plug boot, key switch and start/kill switch..everything tested good..(i'm still not 100% positive i wired the kill switch right..i believe i wired the red/white wire to the black/white wire, but i'll have to check later to be sure)..i removed wiring harness and inspected every inch..could not find any bare/bad spots..i can only find two grounds, one coming off neg battery to frame (sanded it down to bare metal) and the ground on the ignition coil..cleaned them both..i am getting no fire at all, not even pull starting...when push button is pressed now i don't even get the clicking at the cut off relay (i guess it could be fried, because that time i did pull start it, when i turned my headlights on, i heard the relay sizzling)..but even when i bypass the relay i still get nothing..at this point the only thing i can suspect is the cdi, but wouldnt the bike try to crank even if cdi was bad??..there are only two ways i can get it to crank...one is to take a jumper from the positive battery terminal, to the blue/white wire coming off the starter solenoid, then use the push button...the other is to jump across the solenoid using screwdriver or whatever...when it cranks either of these ways, i sill get no spark...oh and plug is new, and i even tried an old plug that was good last time it was in the bike..i am about to burn this thing where is sits (in my mind i see it anyway)..but i've put too many hours troubleshooting to give up now...can anyone give me any ideas on what could be the problem or something i am overlooking?? (when testing electrical components i used ohms specs per manual, and continuity checks where applicable)..i haven't however tested wire's indiviually for continuity, for example the wires coming into cdi, etc, because i don't know what whicn wires to check and its not in the service manual.

sorry for the long post but i wanted to include all info i could

I do have a friend that may let me try his cdi from an 02 model (he previously said he was scared i would "burn it up", but since he may let me try it)
guys i am at my wits end with this thing:argh:

We'll figure my problem out..at least most of it..I reversed the "park brake elimination" process..reconnected the black wire..reconnected black/white wire, and plugged back in the white connector...can pull start with rope every time..can jump solenoid and starts every time...(btw I got yet another solenoid, company sent replacement)..but still no push button start..no clicks, just get the oil light..but I ran the park brake bypass for a month at least, ran like a champ, then one day it didn't...after hours of troubleshooting, I reversed the park brake elimination, and she'll fire every time in the ways I've described..I know a lot I you run that configuration with no problems.so that puzzles me that I can't even get fire now if I wire it up like that..maybe I have another hidden problem...I don't know..but if anyone can help with push button problem I'm open to suggestions..just wanted to update and maybe someone can benefit down the road

Back