wont start

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crash

Reaction score
i got a new spark plug, pickup coil starter coil and wire and sparkplug boot. doesnt want to start. has compression of 115psi. i think its because the timing chain is pretty streched so the tensioner pushes on the chain as far as it can causing to top timing gear to move. the timing is not exact and i cannot get it exact because of the chain i think. will the tinyest bit of being off cause it not to fire and run? when i line up the timing mark on the fly wheel the mark on the top gear is just off like half a tooth too far forward. when i line up the top gear the timing mark on the bottom is between timing and firing. will it being off that little amount cause it to not fire at all? any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks

do you have spark ? have you tried starter fluid just to make its getting fuel ? ... i dont think you timing would cuz it not to at lest try

it has spark and i have tried using starting fluid and it is getting gas because when i take the plug out it is wet with gas

compression is right at it's minimum if there is spark and it's getting gas then you should get a back fire or something even if the timing was off

Have you tried to pull start it? All engines need 3 things to start and run. Spark, fuel and compression. Take any of the 3 out and it just wont work. Now... if the compression is low it may be possible to get it to start by pull starting it, because you will be turning the engine over much faster than the electric start can. When that happens, it can sometime "build" enough compression to start it. Worth a shot, but if you're timing chain is that stretched replace it. You are better off doing it regaurdless of the issue you are having.

all i do is pull it with my truck. the starter and starter solenoid is bad so i dont have any other choice but to pull it

what is good compression? i dont understand how the compression could be at a minimum beacuse 2 winters ago i rebuilt and bored out the top end. i know thats quite a while ago but since then i have only taken it riding once and only ridden it around the yard so it probably has less than 30 hours on the top end. it used to start literally right when you hit the button until i started having electrical problems and i fixed all of those except the starter and starter solenoid but those 2 wouldnt matter since ive been pulling it unless a wire broke somewhere for like the starter fuse or something. idk. it hasnt ran since this last winter and i am completely out of ideas and thoughts on what to look for or what to do

You have to hold the throttle open while doing the compression test to get an accurate reading. I'm assuming you have not done that, so do it and you should see an increase in the compression reading. Did it sit for a long time? Is the carb clean? Are you double sure it has spark? If the plug is wet, and your compression checks out, look into spark issues.

if my starter fuse holder was bad or has bad connections with the fuse should it still start by pulling it

Fix it right and use the starter. Much easier to try things while starting, using the starter over pull starting. Also, if something goes awry, more damage could be had by pulling it over using the starter. Pull starting is also hard on the clutch and trans.

Back