What's it feel like topped out?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevslatvin

Reaction score
This may sound like a stupid question but what does it feel like when you have topped out in any given gear. I'm trying to determine if I have a problem or if what my quad is doing is normal. When I wind it out as in going full throttle through the gears it will cut out at the top of any gear if I hold it in any particular gear too long.I thought it was only at or near full throttle at first but I have noticed if I wind 6th all the way until it does this and then let off till it quits and then give it some more gas to speed back up I believe it will do it again without going full throttle. I thought I was mybe running lean because I took my baffle out and I don't recall it doing this before then, but I also went to 20" tires around the same time but I did go up one tooth on the front. Also my plug looked a greyish color on the tip and electrode. Today I went up one jet size on the main. I haven't gotten to really test it yet as it was late and I just rode around the yard but I did wind second out and it did do it. It feels almost the same as if I forget to turn the gas on and it starts cutting out before it dies.Thats another reason why I thougt I was lean. Quad is stock other than being bored .040 over and no baffle. Could I be too rich on an almost stock quad? One jet size not enough? Thanks.

all i notice when im topped out for a while at a time is that its sreamiing, it loves the air and it makes a different tone than you do when your driving

I talked to my cousin today who used to have a Warrior and he thinks when he took his baffle out his did the same thing so he put it back in. I think I am lean on top. I think I may skip a jet size and try a 160. I could put the baffle back in the muffler but I don't really want to.

hey man just some advice, put the baffle back in and be done with it enless you want to have more troubles like your having, im only 15 and guessing your around the same but not too long ago i thought being loud was the coolest thing in the world! but a few months ago i relized other people are kind of scared of me now with my mowers quads and stuff being really loud. now i like to be quiet and being able to rev it up and nobody will care as it is quiet. i dont know if anybody cares but i thought somebody might?

I don't think it's as loud with the baffle out as it would be with an aftermarket pipe. My brother-in-law had a raptor with a full Yoshimura system and it was quiet a bit louder than what mine is. If it is a jetting problem and I can get it sorted out my only real concern is about sparks as I think the baffle acts as a spark arrestor as well.

just save your self the trouble, and put the baffle back in, its not going to give you any noticable power, just make everyone mad.

I'm a bit confused here. Aftermarket pipes that are louder than the stock pipe with the baffle out don't bother anybody, but take the baffle out of the stock one and it pisses everybody off? Granted an aftermarket pipe would sound better and I am going to get one it will just be awhile as there are some non quad related things I have to take care of first. I am going to put it back in and see if it cures the stumble but whether it stays in or I take it back out and get my jetting set up to run without it I have yet to decide, if it is in fact the lack of the baffle causing the problem.

Put the baffle back in and it does the same thing. Maybe even worse. I thought maybe I was rich so I even did a pass with no Air filter or airbox lid(I know probably a no no) with the baffle out. Still did it. I checked the plug each time and it is a sooty grey color maybe a little whiter with no filter or lid. At this point if we could ignore the baffle since it is not the problem any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

I put a new main jet in it Friday.A 150 one size up from stock. While I had it apart I blew through the passages and nothing seemed clogged. I also sprayed some carb cleaner through them while I had it apart. One thing to mention it sat a year before I got it with the motor half tore apart because it ate a rod bearing on the previous owner. The place that put it back together replaced the needle and seat because the old one was siezed up. Could it be the needle jet isn't adjusted properly? Maybe spark problems? Thanks.

Gas in the tank is pretty new. Maybe two months old. I've probably been through about 5 tanks since I got it out of the shop. I probably noticed it on the 2nd or third tank. It only seems to do it at full throttle when I wind out the gears so during normal riding it hasn't caused much of a problem. Also my truck was broke and the quad was stuck at my brother-in-law's and I didn't get to work on it while it was down there. I believe the intake boot is in good shape but I will double check. I think the carb sat in a box for a year as the engine was in pieces.

yea gas is only good for 30 days now on sence the epa and goverment has anything to do with it. the particals break down in it and will cause it not to burn right and it sits in your carb it will clog up little pin holes in jets and u think u have it all cleaned get a pice of wire and go over the carb and look for little pen holes and pish a stran of wire through the hole and u will clean the port hole.

Adjust your valves first..

Your main jet should be no bigger than a 150 since you dont even have a pipe yet.

Valves were adjusted about 5 rides ago. I don't know how many hours it's been.Maybe 10 to 15hrs. I'm wondering if when the guy put the needle and needle jet in if it is set at the wrong position. Showed my plug to a guy at work and he thinks I may be rich. I'm going to look at it next though it's probably going to be acouple days before I can get to it.

yea gas is only good for 30 days now on sence the epa and goverment has anything to do with it. the particals break down in it and will cause it not to burn right and it sits in your carb it will clog up little pin holes in jets and u think u have it all cleaned get a pice of wire and go over the carb and look for little pen holes and pish a stran of wire through the hole and u will clean the port hole.

Not to be rude but I don't buy that. The gas in my lawn mower sat all winter and it fired up and ran the same as always the first time I mowed this year. I know gas does break down and go bad after sitting, but I don't buy after one month. I did blow through the passages while I had it apart. When I have it back apart I may try the wire.

it makes a hell of a lot more difference when gas breaks down for a high performance engine, vs gas breaking down on a lawnmower engine. A lawn mower isn't real picky about octane ratings and stuff like that, they can pretty much run off a 50/50 mix of kool-aid. When a more advanced/powerful engine's specs say that it requires 87 octane, that means it won't run as good unless it has at least 87.

Disclaimer: don't put kool-aid in your lawnmower. It is not officially an alternative energy source.

You guys can believe that gas goes bad in 30 days if you want but I still don't buy it. Besides when I first noticed it the gas in the tank was less than 1 week old and I've always ran 93 octane in it. We may have to agree to disagree on how long gasoline lasts, but if you can provide me with some links to were this information was gotten I'll be happy to read it.

[quote:767ml1yl]yea gas is only good for 30 days now on sence the epa and goverment has anything to do with it. the particals break down in it and will cause it not to burn right and it sits in your carb it will clog up little pin holes in jets and u think u have it all cleaned get a pice of wire and go over the carb and look for little pen holes and pish a stran of wire through the hole and u will clean the port hole.

Not to be rude but I don't buy that. The gas in my lawn mower sat all winter and it fired up and ran the same as always the first time I mowed this year. I know gas does break down and go bad after sitting, but I don't buy after one month. I did blow through the passages while I had it apart. When I have it back apart I may try the wire.[/quote:767ml1yl]

im not trying to be an ass hole but i work at yorkshire mover service and i no that gas goes bad after 30 days if u get a push mower and put it in its going to be hard to start the gas still has enough to ignite but some times it can sit all winter and it will be fine a few do that but. go ask your gas station and ask them if gas will break down in 30 days all the aditive they put in that **** now days its not like it uset to be befor. u can try to argure with me all u want but im telling u the facts.....

Back