were to start.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toomanycars

Reaction score
So I'm new here . I bought a 87 warrior 350 about 3 months ago fer the lowly sum of 300 bucks ..

So heres what I know about the 4wheeler ... the guy I bought it from bought it from a farmers auction with two snowmobiles and a three wheeler .. He only wanted the sleds so he sold the wheelers ... and I got the warrior..

So now what i know about it so far.. It has good compression and as far as I can tell seems to be mostly complete .. there are of coarse some things that are broken or just not working ..
The first thing I noticed was that the boot that connects the carb to the motor was torn and duct taped ..( will be replaced) I used the pull cable to try and start it .. it had no battery to test the starter. when i pull it over it has spark ..Im sure the carb boot is causing no fuel to get to the motor so i cant say much more on that..
Now when the wheelers forward/reverse lever is in forward it seems to be in neutral .. I tried to shift up and down with no change.. but when you put the selector in reverse it seems to be in gear.. I tried again to shift it up and down but nothing seems to work ..
I have completely removed the motor from the chassis because I am going to have it sand blasted and powder coated , I have the full wiring harness laid out on a 4x8 sheet of plywood so i can trace everything and make sure there are no breaks or cuts in the harness ..

so basically I have a basket case and I am asking for things to check and test to start down the road to making this a running machine again .,

87 is what the reg sticker says and thats all i have to go by ..

2012-10-08191223.jpg

yeah that intake should be first on the list followed up by checking your ingen mounts and makeying sure all of your arms are good, Engine wise you might want to by a gasket set and atleast tear down the topend for inspection and set the valves while your in there

to find out what year it is right below where the shifter was on the frame you will find the vin right it down and report back

Throw an intake boot on it and fire it up!
Don't be like me. Just fix it ride it and love it.
Then figure out the other issues.
If you need a boot I've got a spare.

You can try rotating the rear axle while trying to shift it. It usually will "rock" it into gear. Also, eb ginger tightening down the exhast manifold. Those studs like to break. Since you have the engine out, it is worth your time to remove them and install new studs, or dirll em out and tap them for m8 metric studs. Atleast if those studs break now, they can easily be drilled out.

heres how the frame is sitting..

2012-12-31134511.jpg

2012-12-31134528.jpg

2012-12-31134551.jpg

I need to tare it down further so that I can take it to work and sandblast it ..

I am in the process of cleaning up one of my work benches so I can tear into the motor.

I see that your axle carrier bolts are fucked like mine. We're either drill out the holes for 1/2" bolt, and weld nuts to the swinger. It's that, or, a 2nd gen carrier.
2012-12-31134551.jpg

Back