Webcam/Hotcam ???? O_o

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booboi

Reaction score
Ok Im pretty new to riding, and I have heard alot of talk about Webcams and hotcams. But I have no idea what they are and what they are used for.
So if anyone can explain it for me that would be great.

Webcam camshafts good. Hotcam camshafts ****. A cam controls the opening and closing of the valves in the cylinder head of an engine. Aftermarket companies regrind the lobes of the cam so that the timing of the valves will change plus add material to make the valves open further and stay open longer thus making a bit more power.

Here is an example of a few Warrior camshafts.
Picture194.jpg

Here is the valves
Picture095.jpg

And here is were the cam goes at the top of the motor.
Picture108.jpg

Here is the exhaust rocker and spring
Picture153.jpg

If you have to ask you wouldn't understand.
Way to help a newcomer.

Anyways thanks dave76, im going to pick one up soon and take to get installed. I'm going to take a class to learn how to repair,take apart, and put back together alot of off road vehicles.

my question is, why does everyone think that hotcams are ****? i have one and its great. i have heard that the webcams are more aggressive, but dont you have to send in your stock cam and just have it modified? with hotcams there is no core charge. just a replacement. i have the stage 2 stroker cam with my stroker setup and it runs just fine. just curious why people think they are ****, just because they arent as aggressive as others.

Basically web cams would like to have your cam back so they can hardweld it and then machine it to there specs, you don't have to send your cam back but then you don't get the core charge refunded. There is really no need to keep your stock cam IMO after replacing it wiht a performance grind. Megacycle makes both hardweld and billet grinds. Both of these manufactures offer more agressive grinds which is why you have to use HD valve springs and inturn it will yeld you more HP then a hotcams. With your setup using a 252x1 cam would offer a lot more performance the a stage 2.

Basically web cams would like to have your cam back so they can hardweld it and then machine it to there specs, you don't have to send your cam back but then you don't get the core charge refunded. There is really no need to keep your stock cam IMO after replacing it wiht a performance grind. Megacycle makes both hardweld and billet grinds. Both of these manufactures offer more agressive grinds which is why you have to use HD valve springs and inturn it will yeld you more HP then a hotcams. With your setup using a 252x1 cam would offer a lot more performance the a stage 2.

okay, so do they give you a brand new cam that is made to their specs, your used cam that is modified or someone elses used cam that has been modified? i understand the whole core charge thing but is there a wait time to get it back if they are welding and machining your cam? also, what does the 252x1 spec mean? what kind of hp would i be looking at if i switched? i wouldnt think that hotcams were too bad. im sure pros use them, but thats probably due to sponsorships and stuff. well, any more info you can give me would be good. thanks

hey dave.. it looks like the rubber oil filter base is stuck to the inside of the engine?
Oh yeah that pic is from the winter. BTW Hotcam only provides .390 lift on both the stage one and two. Also by using the stock valve springs the seat pressure is very low which will cause a drop off in power due to the valves floating. Racers use Hotcams but they are all specially ground to the racers specs and track conditions.

right on. i figured hotcams made special cams for the racers. well i may look into a different cam then. couldnt i just use stiffer valve springs with my hotcam though and still be about the same, just less lift?

Back